I’m Tired of the XD .45 Hype

elwaine

OK, I admit it: I don’t like women with big muscles, and I don’t like boxy looking guns with plastic components – especially those with pseudo-macho Picatinny rails and ugly tan or green frames. That just ain’t the way Mr. Browning meant for guns to be. What’s more, I’m too old and cranky to change my mind about much of anything… except maybe about them ugly, boxy, plastic guns, with Picatinny rails.

My new XD in .45 caliber shoots rings around my wonderful (soon to be my ex-wonderful) .40 caliber SIG P229 SAS. Hand held, IPSIC style, standing in a normal shooting position, I can consistently group shots from the SIG within a 3 - 4 inch circle at 15 yards. That’s not exactly shabby; but with the XD, I can consistently shoot 2 inch groups – and from a gun that cost me ½ the price of the SIG and comes with a lifetime warrantee to the original owner. In the hand, the XD feels and fits almost like my 1911. I suspect that's why I shoot it better than the SIG (which is a bit too large in the grip for my hands).

Now, unlike some of you, I do not belong to a SWAT team, live in Hell's Kitchen, or intend to take on a pack of drugged-up Bikers single handed, so the XD's 14 round capacity (13 and 1) was not a major condiseration. Besides, I prefer to aim and shoot rather than spray bullets. The large capacity is nice of course, but I'm very happy with the 9 round capacity of my Baer (8 and 1... using CobraMag magazines from Tripp Research), and with the 6 rounds in my .44 magnum Ruger Akaskan.

What’s more, my ugly XD is near as much fun to shoot as my Les Baer 1911 (with which I can shoot 1 inch groups at 15 yards... but then, my LB cost 4 times as much as my plastic gun, so it had better well be a star performer). On that note, I should mention that the LB frame-to-slide fit is still tight as a drum yet silky smooth after 6,000 rounds, but the XD, new, exhibits a slight amount of shake in that regard.

I don’t know why I let the salesman talk me into buying the XD… except that he’s an old friend who hasn’t steered me wrong yet. Even so, I regretted the decision as soon as I got the gun home and field stripped it. I knew I wouldn’t like it. And then, today, I put 200 rounds through my new wonderful, beautiful, lovely, accurate, tan-framed plastic gun with Picatinny rails! I'm thinkin' maybe I should take another look at them big muscled women. Who knows what you'll like until ya try one?

guns2.jpg

hpg

Mr. Browning died, I thought everyone knew this.........:eek: ............

New designs, new generations........Nothing wrong with Mr. Brownings designs.....get over it ..:D...hpg

hpg

I was just joking, :D = joke.

I am serious about new designs and new generation of shooters though....hpg

gbran

IMHO, 3 of the ugliest guns I've ever seen are the Highpoints, XD's and Glocks. Now I own 3 Glocks and love them, but still think they're butt-ugly.

elwaine

ever thought .45 is inherently more accurate than .40

Yeah... I've heard that, and I've read that too... and also that the 9 mm is an inherently inaccurate round as well.

No offense buddy, but IMHO, that is undocumented fertilizer. All too often, on forums like this, people express opinions and notions based on hearsay and posts that they've read on other forums; but where the truth lies, no one knows. I do not have the equipment to test the inherent accuracy of specific calibers, or the guns that shoot them - and I doubt very much that you do, either.

What I can attest to, from years of owning and shooting guns in .380, .38 spl, .357 mag., 9 mm, .40, .44, .44 mag., and .45 caliber is that the two most important factors in achieving accuracy with handguns is the fit of the grip in your hand and the quality of the trigger's action - NOT the caliber of the round fired. Now that is not a scientific study, and is not based on bench rest shooting. But it is based on my own personal experience of 20 years and at least 30,000 rounds.

jlh26oo

the two most important factors in achieving accuracy with handguns is the fit of the grip in your hand and the quality of the trigger's action - NOT the caliber of the round fired
My position as well.

That's hilarious. You really did not want to like it, but could not deny the advantages. I was the same way. I REALLY did not want to be anything but a steel and wood guy. No way black plastic. Then shot a glock (in the "inaccurate .40sw btw lol) and was almost disappointed in how I could shoot so well with it, because I knew I'd have to get one... or six.

Congrats- on the xd45. Great choice and great shooting!

Ian2005

ELWAINE

two most important factors in achieving accuracy with handguns is the fit of the grip in your hand and the quality of the trigger's action - NOT the caliber of the round fired

Oh man... I guess that mean's I should just buy the even uglier Beretta PX4 Storm. That's one the most comfortable and fitted guns that has ever been in my grip. But boy! It sure does scare kittens and small children away!:D

http://images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976802088-1.jpg

10milg29

Elwaine: I'm speaking of personal experience. I find the recoil of the .45 to allow more accurate shots versus the snap of the .40. I do not however, find the 9mm to be inaccurate especially in a G17. I don't think you can compare a .40 to a .45 and realistically form a case.

elwaine

I don't think you can compare a .40 to a .45 and realistically form a case.

Yeah... I agree completely.

I know that competitive shooters primarily shoot .45s, but there is a growing class who prefer the .40 caliber. The scoring is a bit different - perhaps because it takes a more accurate shot placement to knock down bowling pins with a .40 cal. (but I'm not certain of that). In anycase, competitive shooters would never elect to shoot the .40 if it was an inherently inaccurate round.

I never meant to knock the SIG P229 SAS or the .40 caliber round. The points I tried to make was that the SIG double stacks are too fat for my hands and that is the most likely reason I cannot shoot it as well as I can the XD45 or a single stack 1911. I was very happy with the P229 and with the .40 caliber rounds - until I found an inexpensive gun that performed significantly better in my hands.

Guns are very personal and in that regard we all have our prejudices. But to be honest, I am so happy with my XD45 that I've made arrangements to borrow a buddy's Glocks (the G38 and the G26). I've gained a new respect for those ugly/lovely plastic guns and maybe I need at least one more.:D