HXP 85 Headstamp brass

chiefr

I was given a number of 303 British brass head stamped HXP 85. I noticed it was boxer primed. Has anybody reloaded this stuff before and is it any good?

I always NSO 303 brass.

wogpotter

***DROOL***
HXP .303 British is the best, better then RemChester & even better than PPU which is a close second.:D

Last edited:
HXP = Greek Powder and Cartridge Company, of Athens, Greece. Their 30-06 I have through the CMP seems to be as good as Lake City. Actual 70:30 brass made to military specifications.

chiefr

Thanks for the responses. I will reload it up this week.

Nick, I still have some LC 3006 brass from years past. I have reloaded this brass many times and I think it will outlast me.

The military, unlike SAAMI, has recommended hardness specs for different parts of the case. I think that overall control is helpful to the quality of the brass metal itself. Dimensionally it still doesn't keep up with Lapua, but then it doesn't cost nearly as much, either. And at the pressures we usually load for the Garand, if you anneal periodically and don't resize any further than you have to, that stuff should last through a lot of load cycles.

wogpotter

I dunno, mate .303 Brit in a Garand:eek:

Actually the HXP is made to spec as a lot of it was sold to the u.K. when they discovered they were running out of home-made .303.