Husqvarna 6.5x55 swede

458winshooter

I picked one of these up today for $200 now I need to know what I've gotten. I'm sure it has no collector value as it has been drilled and tapped for a scope and has a fiberglass aftermarket stock on it and a cheap scope mount. From what I can tell it is the short rifle. It seems to have a barrel length of 20 or 22 inches. All numbers do match though.thanks

Last edited:

Scorch

Has the barrel been cut? Is it a 94 or a 96? Is it commercial or military? And yes, it is 6.5X55 Swedish, not Swiss.

emcon5

I got one of those, my first Milsurp. Probably in my case a gateway drug.

swedem38.jpg

Can you see the date on the receiver ring? I believe Husqvarna Vapenfabriks only made rifles from 1942-44, but made both M96 rifles and M38 carbines. The barrels on the M38s were ~24", so your may have been cut down.

6.5X55 is a great round, capable of killing pretty much any game animal in North America short of big bears. Swedes have killed Moose with them for over a century.

T. O'Heir

1,600px is too big.
"...what I've gotten..." You have a really good deer/bear/moose rifle. There was an 18" Swedish Mauser Carbine called an M94. And a 24" M38. Run a cleaning rod down the barrel, closed action, mark the rod at the muzzle and measure the length.

ernie8

It sounds like one of the sporter conversions made up by an importer about 20 years ago . Black stock ?

eastbank

they made a 400-500 dollar rifle into a 200 dollar rifle and paid some one to do it (d&t-alter bolt-change safety- new stock).

emcon5

they made a 400-500 dollar rifle into a 200 dollar rifle and paid some one to do it (d&t-alter bolt-change safety- new stock).

I don't disagree looking at todays prices, but when they first came in in the 1990s, some of the chain stores sold the Swede M96 for $99, and the M38 for $125. Ratty but unmolested ones today start north of $350.