Husband found rifle he loves

Wendyj

We were at the range and husband got a chance to pop a rew rounds through a Rock River 458 socov. He wants one so bad now he can't stand it. Anyone had any experience with these rifles in this caliber and what going price is? Not often he finds a rifle he likes that well. It was a tack driver at a 100. Wants it for hog and bear. He has a Marlin 450 and a 45-70 and said this it what it reminded him of but shorter bullet in semi.

dakota.potts

Wendyj

Thanks for your help. That would be it. Rifle and optics in range of $2,000 maybe tad more depending on the glass. Since for hog and bear maybe a 1-6.

chris in va

Ammo will be vurry expensive. Definitely not a 'plinker'. He may want to at least pick up his brass in case he wants to reload later.

FrankenMauser

Before you jump in to the .458 SOCOM world, be sure to check on the price and availability of ammunition.
It isn't the easiest thing to find. ...And it isn't cheap.

As for the fun side...

For upper receivers or complete rifles, stick with:
Rock River Arms
Southern Ballistic Research (SBR Ammunition)
Tromix
SSK Industries (J.D. Jones)

Only Rock River offers off-the-shelf rifles that are ready to rock and roll.
The other companies would be more of a custom build. SBR and SSK are likely to have notable wait times. Tromix has a fantastic turnaround time and great customer support, but you would need to check with them for availability.

Companies NOT on that list are using non-standard chamber dimensions that have been known to cause reliability issues with .458 SOCOM. In addition, there are multiple documented cases of the non-standard rifles, upper receivers, or barrels experiencing catastrophic failures ("blow ups") due to the incorrect dimensions.

Just this weekend, I was made aware of yet another incident involving a very well known manufacturer's .458 SOCOM rifle that blew up with factory ammo. ...Because the chamber was improperly dimensioned.

But, as long as the rifle is from one of the 'official' builders, it's a great package. I'm sure your husband would enjoy it.

Wendyj

Thanks guys. Took over this post from my wife. I'd definitely reload for this. Gun store at home says they can have me one in 2 weeks. Different pad for buttstock. I like that vortex. I have a viper on my wife's 308. Was thinking about another SHV Nightforce but the Vortex should be fine at way less cost. Metal. Being a grandfather your not old. I'm 56 and have 9. Had ten but one of the two month old twins didn't make it. Ain't it funny how what your kids did you whipped their butts. Grand kids can do no wrong. Lol.

Wendyj

She's a keeper no doubt. She's always looking out for me. She likes to shoot a lot. Now if I could only get her to hunt. Lol. I don't pressure her. We like a lot of the same things and we agree that what the other one doesn't like to do we spend time in our own hobbies. She's the one that knew I wanted to shoot more and read about reloading day and night. Talked herself into it I guess as I figured it would be harder than it is. Now we spend equal time at the bench and I'm reading everything I can. I know if she sees something she likes and I see a twinkle in her eye I will do almost anything to get it for her. Satisfaction of the look on her face when surprised is what it's all about.