Hurricane Lili and "SHTF"

keano44

I've never posted to a SHTF thread before, I have read many of them. Surviving the recent Hurricane Lili got me to thinking about how this was and still is, in some areas very close to my home, a real SHTF scenario. We were suddenly without power for days on end, the heat, and muggy conditions was terrible. Peoples homes were damaged, and in some areas situations are getting desparate. I've been hearing about stealing, rip-offs of poor innocent people, and broad daylight robberies in large store parking lots, etc.

I count myself and my family as among the lucky. We had made all the usual preparations. My biggest mistake was to stay and ride out the storm. If it hadn't weakened unexplainably by one third its strength before making landfall, things could have been much worse. Although I don't live in one of the mandatory evacuation parishes, my home is only two miles from the parish line from Vermilion Parish, one of the worst hit. To keep this gun related, I did load a shotgun, and put it in a more handy location in the aftermath of the storm, when we didn't have electricity for approximately 60 hrs. But, my neighborhood, like 99% of others around South Central Louisiana, didn't behave as is predicted in most of the SHTF scenarios that I read about here. We all immediately came together and helped each other out as best we could. Covering damaged roofs, cleaning up branches, leaves, shingles, etc. We had block "parties", bar-be-cuing or gas grilling food from our freezers which would have been lost.

I had plenty of time to think, the night before it hit, as I couldn't sleep, watching it come straight for us. I have two children and a wife, and realized just how helpless I was in such a natural disaster. When the storm is bearing down on you, spawning tornados, and gusting to 100mph, what are you gonna do? Loading your guns won't help you. If your roof goes, or your house is blown away by a tornado, who you gonna call? No one can come to help you until it is past, and this took hours in Lili's case. In the future, we're outa here for a catagory two or above hurricane.

With all of the stories of heroic acts, and good people helping people, it seems what we here more about now are the stories of people being ripped off, or the ones who use a situation like this to get as much as they can from the government, or insurance companies, by lying, cheating, and acting like they are owed something for their misfortunes. Thousands of volunteers are working very hard to help those still without power, food, water, ice, etc. But, for some it's never enough.

Preacherman

Hi, Keano. I'm about 80 miles north of you, in the Alexandria area. We were lucky to have Lili drop to tropical storm strength by the time she made it up here, but even so, seven tornadoes touched down within 10 miles of my home. Makes you think!

What got me was the last-minute rush to buy emergency supplies. I dropped into Wal-Mart for an extra jug of milk, and literally thousands of unprepared people were besieging the counters, looking for hurricane preparedness goods. Candles, bottled water, propane and propane appliances, etc... every shelf was bare of these items, and as fast as fresh pallets of supplies could be wheeled in, they were stripped as well! I'm glad I had my emergency kit all ready to go, without needing much topping-up. You can bet I was also glad to have the means of defence at hand, in case someone less prepared decided to take my preparations for his own!

Glad you made it through OK.

Keith_Yorktown

Prior planning prevents poor performance and panic...

Glad to here you and yours are OK. We only got a few sprinkles from Lili up here in Indianapolis, but had some tornadoes go through the week before.

Most communities do pull together after the storm and it's usually the same band of thugs doing the looting and mayhem as were lawless before the storm.

CZ Gunner

I CAN SLEEP WHEN THE WIND BLOWS

We keep our "hurricane box" in the garage and is always ready to go 365 days a year. Basically it's just a large green RubberMaid box that we keep all our camping gear in. (Small tent, tarps, batteries, flash lights, lanterns, small axe, line, first aid kit, radio, etc., etc., etc., ... ) Can go toss entire box in back of truck/van and been gone 2 minutes.

We also keep a good supply of bottled water on hand and just cycle through it on a routine basis. Plenty of dry goods and canned goods in pantry too. (Again, cycle through them in normal use.) Like I tell my wife, if we lose power, we're going to be the best fed people in town (because we're going to start eating stuff out of freezer -- crab legs, shrimp, fish, ribs, corn on cob, beef, chicken, ice cream, ... you get the idea.)

Gas BBQ grill doubles for emergency cooking. A few propane bottles for the camp stove(s) are also around .. should we need to hit the road.

5-gallon gas can for emergency use (and regular lawn chores) is always kept full. Have 2 or 3 spare 5-gallon gas cans which can be filled if storm approaches and then emptied in truck/van gas tank (later) if necessary.

Do "last minute shopping" 4 or 5 days before the storm .. hate dealing with crowds and inflated prices. Can always use it if the storm goes the other way! (Milk, eggs, fruit, veggies ... ) Will eat it one way or the other anyway.

Batteries are good until 2008 ... no excuse not to have enough on hand.

And, of course, plenty of fire power should someone decide to try to loot my place ...

Being prepared is easy, knowing when to leave is hard!

Good luck.

Gunner

Here is one of my favorite tales on the subject:

http://www.beprepared.com/Articles/windblows.html

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
Glad to see y'all made it OK. I am not sure if St. Mary Parish was a mandatory evac. Parish or not Iberia Parish was but not too many that I know of left. I sent the wife and kids and grandkids to Dallas with relatives and I stayed. My sister and husband (Iberia Parish) had to stay because of their jobs she is a director or nursing at one of the local hospitals he is an x-ray man there. My brother and his family stayed as did my mother. I lost power the Thrusday morning at about 4AM (I think they turned it off as the winds were only 20-30 at the time). I went from my home in St. Mary Parish to my mothers about 2 miles away in Jeanerette, in Iberia parish at that time. we got winds estimated at 90-100. I left there at 1PM when the winds died to about 50 or so and went home................by 4PM I had the generator running (I had stashed 120 gallons of gasoline) and tied into the breaker box. I had A/C in my bedroom, all my lights, fridge freezer and microwave and Satellite TV. By 5PM I had the pit lit on my deck and about 3 or 4 neighbors were all there taking care of cold beer and hot bar-b-que. We did not have the damage that Keno44 had but were without lights until the 1st quarter of the Saints/Steelers game Sunday.... a little over 72 hours. I did hear of a few folks that lost trailers and had the belongings that were not destroyed stolen.

That is one of the main reasons that I will not leave Mandatory evacuation or not, plus I have horses to take care of. The one thing Idid differently from most normal dys is shown in this picture............It stayed there real handy, and yes it was loaded. If you look out the door behind it you can see some of the tree limbs on the ground.

One of the rip offs that I KNOW about is a roofing contractor that put one piece of roofing felt 3'X10' on my mothers roof Wednesday. It took 15 minutes and he charged her $250! I found out today and blew up...................had her call the lady in the DA's office that takes care of overcharges and rip offs of the elderly!...................I also had her stop payment on the check! I hope he comes around when I am there!

Attachments

• pa070001.jpg
    pa070001.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Gomez

During my time volunteering with the Red Cross Disaster Action Team and serving in the Louisiana National Guard, I did a lot of "assistance" work to victims during various floods, and during Andrew. If I hadn't been convinced before then, I was certainly convinced afterwards that you are the best resource that you can possibly have! My family's emergency gear stays packed in the boatport. If we need to leave, the rubbermade box and the duffle bag get tossed into my Jeep and we head out. If we don't need to leave, we've got all supplies on-hand.

The Wal-Mart raids are ridiculous, aren't they? You live in south Louisiana. A hurricane is inbound. And you wait until the day of landfall to attempt to buy supplies. Unbelievable!!!!

I was lucky. We never even lost power.

Glad ya'll made it through, OK.

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
"The Wal-Mart raids are ridiculous, aren't they?"

Gomez let me tell you............Franklin never lost power either............my oldest daughter, after they got back from Dallas had to go to Wal-Mart in Franklin for diapers for her youngest daughter......................there is a Winn Dixie next door................she told me people were actually FIGHTING over items in both stores................I always keep enough stuff on hand for a week or more...............all I had to buy was gas (2- 65 gallon drums........that's right not 55's but 65's) gonna have to use a lot in my boat and truck now LOL.

That 120 gallons was not too much during Andrew.......we went 15 days without commercial power. This time I only used 40 gallons for the generator. Hell I never even lost the 3 1/2 gallons of Blue Bell Ice Cream in my freezer this time! :D

keano44

Being an avid deer hunter makes staying prepared for such a disaster easier. My water jugs, propane bottles, flashlight batteries, etc. are always stocked up.
I may have been a bit misleading; actually my family and home came through this storm in good shape. I was lucky enough to have had the means to purchase a generator the day after the storm. We never lost water service, so we were good there. Vehicles had been filled with gas before it hit.
Thanks all for the wishes and tips.

BayouBlaster

hey Carlyle ...

What's in the crockpot ... red beans & rice?
And why's a good cajun boy drinking Lipton tea instead of Community?
:D

I live over in Mandeville. Between Isidore and Lili we got a good soaking over here.

Preacherman

Hey, all you Louisianan TFL'ers out there... how's about we set up a "Hurricane Survivor's Shootout" somewhere convenient for all of us? We could exchange lies about wind speed instead of our shooting prowess for once! :D

Seriously, I think it would be great fun to organize a get-together somewhere. Should we start a thread and see how many responses we get? There must be ranges which all of us can reach relatively easily, and if we made it a day-long affair, with a BBQ lunch and a few beers after shooting, it could be the start of something regular. Let's hear your responses!

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
"What's in the crockpot ... red beans & rice?"

My secrets out.............:D! Actually it is red beans and smoked sausage! The wife had gone to Dallas and it was a perfect oppurtunity for me to eat beans and "gas up" the place in peace and quiet! :D

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
"Hey, all you Louisianan TFL'ers out there... how's about we set up a "Hurricane Survivor's Shootout" somewhere convenient for all of us? We could exchange lies about wind speed instead of our shooting prowess for once! "

Man that's a GREAT idea! I'll get back on this .....got to run for now got all 3 gran kids here and the wife is hollering for me! :rolleyes: