Hunting with my Pal and our weapon of choice.

Need a little help here folks. I have a Rem Model 7 in 223 shot once or twice over 15 years with factory Federal 55 gr. FMJ shells. Rifle was shot just enough to get its Bushnell Trophy scope on target at 100 yards. Nothing fancy, just on a paper plate size target is all. Since this State has an abundance of coyote. This rifle is going to be our go to rifle to help eliminate a few mouse and fawn eaters in the coming months. Hopefully trips will include my single parent 16 yr old Grandson on his weekends off is my true objective >my taking him hunting. I see that most reloading recipes for the 223 posted on TFLF are intentionally made up to work properly in AR type weapons. My Question: Does anyone have and willing to share a reasonably accurate re-loading for the 64 gr. Win S/P that will work well out of a bolt action? I don't mind tweaking a recipe if need be. That I expect. I'm starting from scratch with no powders and I'm quite willing to buy some. What I have on hand is: New Winchester Brass, Win S/R primers, and (500 rds) of 64 gr. bullets. So Gentlemen & Ladies too. Can you help us out please?_:)

mrawesome22

Try the forum search function. About 10 quadrillion threads on 223Rem loads.

And if the rifle has a standard 1in12 twist, that 64 grainer probably will not be very accurate.

I'd be loading 40 to 50 grainers for the flatter trajectory they offer when willey appears out of nowhere and you have to take a quick shot with a hasty range estimate.

The flatter trajectory will be much more forgiving of range estimation errors.

Sent from Android CyanogenMod 7.2

603Country

You didn't say what the twist rate is. My Ruger bolt gun has a 1 in 9 twist and I shoot the Sierra 65 gr Gameking. Best group of 5 so far is about 1/2 inch. I tried 4 or 5 powders and settled on AA2230, at a powder charge about 1 grain under the Lyman maximum for the Sierra 63 grain. Of course it all depends on what your rifle likes, but try my load if you have some AA2230. And just to say it, approach that load from a reduced charge. I also got some good groups with Varget and IMR4064.

mrawesome22 said: if the rifle has a standard 1in12 twist

After reading that question I didn't really know what its twist rate was. So I got the owners mannual out and >OH oh? yes it is 1-12. Looks like those 64s aren't going to work for me, so you say. I suppose I'll have to use the 55 grain Win S/P with a cannelure leads I have someplace around here. Could I achieve the flatness you mentioned in those 40s & 50 grainers by substituting the 55s instead? Just so you know. When I shot this rifle with Federal American Eagle 55 FMJs it wasn't all that accurate at 100 yards. So I thought maybe a heavier bullet like the 64s was the way to go. Apparently not it now appears. Thanks, for keeping Me up to speed here gents.:)

Last edited:

Jim243

Yep, the 55 grainers will work great. I use 25 grains of H335 for them and they should do the job or 25 grains of H-4895 will work as well.

Jim

er775

I have a Remington model 700 in 223 rem, I load 55 gr hornady sp in winchester case with winchester primer with 22.7 grains of h335 with COL at 2.18, at 100 yards I get them in group the size of a half dollar, now with 55 grain v max with 22.7 grains of h335 at one hundred yards I get a group the size of a quarter. dont have a chrono so I have no idea fps or any of that data, according the 7th edition of the hornady book its somewhere in the neighborhood of 3100 fps.

I just loaded up some of the new zombie z max bullets with the new CFE223 powder but havent had a chance to shoot any yet but am very excited to try them:)

er775 said:__55 gr hornady sp group the size of a half dollar at 100 yards. 55 grain v max at one hundred yards group the size of a quarter.
It appears the V max is much more accurate of the two equal charged loads. I bet bullet profile has something to do with this. As I really didn't think there would be that much of a Grouping difference between the two equal weight bullets from the same manufacture. That is interesting._;) Thanks er775 for your input._:)

er775

Yeah I was surprised as well, I shot the 55 gr sp first and shot 3 rounds at a time and did this 5 times and got same results each time, then did the same thing with the v max and got tighter groups, this was my first experience with either bullet and have always heard the v max was very accurate, guess thats true:)

Oh and for those who have said or heard they are junk or thought about buying it, on top of my 700 is one of those $70 centerpoint scopes from wally world, the 4-12x50 with illuminated mil dot reticle,,,,I am so far impressed with it, the illumination doesnt show up very good in sun light but dont really care about or need it anyway. the lens clarity is very clear and the highest power setting at 100 yards is good too, I can look at bullet hits on target without needing to go to my binos,,,in case you were wandering :D

mrawesome22said: Try the forum search function. About 10 quadrillion threads on 223Rem loads.

At the suggestion of mrawesome22 I did indeed spent and hour or so reading past threads on the 223 Rem. I came to this one and it kind of explained what I had questioned. (below)

For example, when the US army switched from a 55-grain .223 projectile to a 62-grain projectile, they had to change the twist rate from 1 in 12" to 1 in 7".

To all who have participated to date Thank you,:) SSMcG

Jbotto

Generally speaking those 64gr bullets won't shoot to the best potential out of your rifling, however, there are exceptions that don't seem to make sense and go against the common knowledge of bullet weight v. specific rifling. Might as well load a few up, just to try. If you go into it expecting them to shoot poorly, the only other outcome could be a nice surprise for you. You've got the bullets, might as well give them a try! Good luck sir!

Oh I intend too a little. Like you say.
If you go into it expecting them to shoot poorly, the only other outcome could be a nice surprise for you. You've got the bullets, might as well give them a try!
Oh you bet-cha. :D