Hunting with AR

Miller77

Im planning on getting a new rifle some time in the near future. I want some thing that i can use for deer, bear and possibly elk hunting. I am leaning towards a 308. I want the gun to be accurate and fun to shoot at the range but i will also be using it for hunting. I am thinking about a DPMS LR-308 or the Rock River Arms LAR-8 Varmint A4. I like those because of the stainless barrels and the good accuracy. The only concern i have is that they weigh 11 some pounds and i can foresee them being a pain to carry around. Does any one have any experience hunting with these guns or others that are similar?

snipecatcher

I have a Bushmaster Predator that I have hunted with several times, and walked up to ~4 miles. It is a heavy rifle. I prefer my synthetic stock Savage because it weighs a WHOLE lot less than the AR and the AR is just sort of unwieldy when walking through brush/etc. While there is nothing wrong with hunting with an AR, you should also take into account the odd looks and possible harassment you may get while after elk or the like with one. I would suggest getting an AR in 223 because it is cheaper/more fun to shoot (less recoil) and having a second gun (lightweight bolt action in something like .270 or 30/06) for hunting.
-Dan

You could get a .223 size AR in 6.5 Grendel, close enough to a .308 or .260 for hunting purposes/ranges. And allows standard AR spare uppers (.22LR for plinking or small game, .458 Socom for brush or hog hunting with .45/70 or 12 Ga slug level close range power, in unmodified .223 mags also, you can even get a 10 rd side mag fed .50 BMG bolt action upper for it). That 6.5 could be around 7 lbs. dry including glass

Miller77

yeah, i realize i would be better off getting a couple rifles better suited for each situation. . . But i dont have the money to spend on two rifles. Ill likely be hunting more than at the range. I wont be going to the range more than once a month and wont be going through a ton of rounds if i do. I wouldnt mind just getting a nice savage or remington bolt action, but i just figure it would be fun to own and shoot a AR. Is accuracy affected much between a regular and a heavy barrel?

zoomie

I agree an AR-15 in 6.5 or 6.8 or x39 would be much nicer to carry, especially chasing elk in the mountains.

If you are set on an AR-10ish rifle, I sure wouldn't get the bull barrel you find on the RRA and DPMS rifles. The Remington R-25 is lighter at 9 lbs, but of course that's before optics. If you do get an AR-10 - especially if it's more for hunting than range, you might look at lightening it where you can. A skeleton stock, a low profile gas block, 18" barrel, lighter barrel profile, lightweight (maybe even carbon fiber) handguards, lightweight (but still quality) scope, low capacity mags...

Here are a ton of configurations with specs.

http://www.ar-10-rifles.com/index.php

Light_Pro_Hunter_1.gif

I carried my bull barrel RRA Varminter .223 chasing hogs for a little while before I decided it was too much and sent the barrel in to be recontoured, changed out the handguard to a lighter version, changed out the A2 stock, and put on a lightweight optic. It's much nicer now to carry around and still shoots nice.

HiBC

The DPMS LR 308 L is 7.9 lbs,I believe.

I dunno,hunting is about aiming and squeezing the first one to the right place.

An AR can do that as well as a bolt gun or a Ruger #1.The reverse is true,also.

I call them just another rifle.Most states limit you to a 5 rd mag,and more won't help.

You can get a lighter,handier 308.Its all about what you prefer.

PRONE2

ar

I use my armalite ar10 a4 for almost everything from deer to boar to yotes. Yah it's a little on the hefty side, but it shoulders quick and goes "boom" every time! And 400 plus yards is no problem. IMO it's a good all around gun, and yes it's a blast at the range.

globemaster3

I've got an LR308B (18" bull) and hunted with it the first time in Jan this year on a cull hunt in TX. Lots of fun to shoot and more accurate than I am. Yes, it is heavier than my Model 700 in .308. I haven't weighed it, but its got some heft.

I had the opportunity to fondle one with a 24" bull and that one was definitely up in the 11 lb range. Mine is about as heavy a rifle as I'd want to carry any significant distance.

As far as going with one of the shorter rounds in the AR-15 format, look at their energy levels before you commit to going small. Since you mentioned elk and bear, you really don't want to go into the woods with a 7.62 X 39 as was suggested.

Miller77

how does the accuracy compare from a heavy bull barrel to your armorlite or the dpms lr-308L? is it very noticeable?

zoomie

The DPMS LR 308 L is 7.9 lbs,I believe.
Nevermind - I missed the L at the end. You're right. And I'd sure look at the L version over the normal LR-308 for any kind of walk-and-stalk hunting.

Last edited:

flyboy14

I have the dpms lr-308, with the 24" bull. Without scope its 11 lbs, and yes it

is heavy to pack around. Took it deer hunting this fall, lots of walking, and

its hard to forget you are carrying a rifle. Thinking about getting a lighter

barrelled upper for hunting. The bull barrell is scary accurate. I know that

dpms makes a 308 specifically for hunting. Can't remember the weight, but I

handled one when I bought mine. Check out the website. Can't really say

much about the accuracy of the pencil barrell, haven't shot one. good luck

flyboy

OLNfan

They seem like really nice rifles, but I think that an ar doesnt really follow hunters edicate, I dont mind too much but sometimes you end up going on hunts with a few guys you've never met and they will likely rag on you for using a ar style rifle to hunt with. I think it would be nice/exciting/cool thing to try but I know if I went with my dads friends I would bring an actual hunting rifle hah. but thats just me.

zoomie

They seem like really nice rifles, but I think that an ar doesnt really follow hunters edicate, I dont mind too much but sometimes you end up going on hunts with a few guys you've never met and they will likely rag on you for using a ar style rifle to hunt with. I think it would be nice/exciting/cool thing to try but I know if I went with my dads friends I would bring an actual hunting rifle hah. but thats just me.
You imply an AR isn't an "actual hunting rifle," or at least you imply your Dad's friends wouldn't think so. So tell me... how is an AR-10 different from a Browning Lightweight Stalker? Both are all black with composite stocks. Both can be had in .308 Win with a 20" barrel. Both will probably wear a scope. Both have a detachable box magazine. So what makes the BAR an "actual hunting rifle" and the AR-10 not?

Miller77

I agree i don't see much of a difference with a BAR or R1 compared to hunting with a dpms with a 4 shot magazine. I could see someone saying something if im walking around with the 19 shot magazine but thats something i just wont be doing.

So i think ive about narrowed it down to the LR-308L or the 308B from DPMS. Im just debating if i want the bull barrel or not. both have 18" barrels. Is the 18" sufficient for getting the most out of the charge?

zoomie

So i think ive about narrowed it down to the LR-308L or the 308B from DPMS. Im just debating if i want the bull barrel or not. both have 18" barrels. Is the 18" sufficient for getting the most out of the charge?
The most? No. Enough? Yes, I think so.

Here's an article addressing the shorter, "tactical" barrels. They cut a 308 barrel from 26" to 18" and say the velocity loss was minimal.

http://www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/

And I'd only get the bulll barrel if you're going to be shooting multiple shots in quick succession, where the barrel would heat up. For most hunting, you're gonna fire a box to sight it in or check zero, and then a shot or two a day at most to fill your tags. Otherwise it's just extra weight to haul around.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/newforums/showthread.php?p=19834

Last edited:

jgcoastie

You could also try the Remington R-25. I've been looking at getting one in 7mm-08. They're available in .308, .7mm-08, and .243. The camo finish and Remington logo should thwart more than a few of the negative opinions of hunting with a "black rifle". From what I understand, DPMS and Bushmaster are Remington's sister companies, so reliability/quality wouldn't be a real concern...

OLNfan

Their is a remarkable difference between a BAR and a ar.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=002B&cat_id=031&type_id=540 bar...

https://shopquestar.com/shopping65/q_images/DPMS-LR308-FLTD_1.jpg ar..

Both very different style of rifles not only in design but internially...if I ever saw someone with an ar style rifle in the bush for one I would think wow why would someone need such a ridiculous rifle for hunting. For two it’s illegal in CANADA unlike you Americans that can bring anything you wish to hunt with. For three it’s against proper edicate (in Canada) again because it’s illegal. If you want a REAL hunting rifle not something Taticool. Get a different rifle. I dont know where you hunt zoomie but IM glad its not in my neck of the woods if you think something along these lines is pratical and acceptable.

22-rimfire

For me, I'd buy a more traditional rifle for the hunting application. There is the Browning BAR which is a nice rifle chambered in suitable calibers. Weight is important and I don't lke lugging around a 10 lb rifle just because I want to take an AR hunting. I undestand you are buying for flexibility and still satisfying your urge for an AR. There are cheaper military style rifles that would work as well. You really don't need a semi-auto rifle for most hunting applications. Usually one shot is all you need. Last time I checked, it's still a pretty free country, so get what you want. :)

I'd pick up a 5.56/223 AR for varmint hunting, plinking, and range shooting. I'd do this when I could afford it, but take care of the hunting need first.