Hunting with a crew cab pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.

P99AS9

I'm thinking about buying myself a second vehicle, a pickup truck for hunting. I was wondering if anyone here has ever put a full size deer or bear in the back of a crew cab truck, considering the bed is smaller than that of a standard or extended cab model.

oneounceload

I used to have a full-size F150 with the short box - it could easily carry several large Western mule deer with no issues- the box was only 6' - yours should be fine

davlandrum

Is it a full-size truck? My 4-door F250 still has a 6'x6' bed, which will do fine. I can carry a deer on the back rack of an ATV, so I am not sure why that would be a concern.

jmr40

The 5 1/2' bed on the F-150 I used to own had no trouble with a 260lb bear along with tents and other assorted camping gear several years ago.

dzavoina

P99AS9 Wrote:
I'm thinking about buying myself a second vehicle, a pickup truck for hunting.

Myself, I prefer to use a firearm when I'm hunting..:D
It hard to kill the game while they are still on the road many times.

Some one had to be the smart a$$!

Bigjfb

How big are the deer where you live?:eek:

Ive had three in the back of my Cherokee XJ, but they were only Montana deer.

P99AS9

I told my neighbor I wanted to buy a pickup to easily bring larger sized animals like deer, bear, and moose out of the woods and back home. He told me not to get a crew cab though because the beds aren't big enough. Guess he was wrong!

FrankenMauser

In 2008, my brothers and I crammed 3 antelope, 2 coolers, 2 tents, 3 sleeping bags, all of our shooting supplies, 3 folding chairs, a tool box, mini air compressor, and 15 gallons of water into my Flare-side, short-bed Ranger (41"x59")... and the antelope didn't have anything packed under, on top, or around them. (Additional crap was in the back of the cab.)

Gaining the additional 2 feet of width with a full size truck makes things that much nicer. (Unless you put a bed box in the bed... then you've got my bed, turned sideways.)

HAMMER1DOWN

I have used my folks F150 Crew cab ever since we got it in 05, everything from deer, elk, bear and coyotes haha, there were two elk in the box a cow and a big bull... You shouldn't have any problem with deer.

davlandrum

I told my neighbor I wanted to buy a pickup to easily bring larger sized animals like deer, bear, and moose out of the woods and back home. He told me not to get a crew cab though because the beds aren't big enough.

Hopefully he does not have a job that requires estimating space requirements or size....

Benefit of a crew cab is you have a back seat to pile stuff on that you really don't want to get wet - sleeping bags and guns come to mind...

Scorch

I told my neighbor I wanted to buy a pickup to easily bring larger sized animals like deer, bear, and moose out of the woods and back home. He told me not to get a crew cab though because the beds aren't big enough. Guess he was wrong!
I hunted all over the West in a 1984 Toyota 4X4 Xtra-Cab pickup. I had no problem getting into, out of, or over anything in my way, and I never had a problem fitting deer, bear, coyotes, or elk in the 5'6" bed of the truck. Some were a little cramped, but they weren't in any condition to complain. And I did that while getting about 27 mpg, something your average CrewCab pickup will never do.
Hopefully he does not have a job that requires estimating space requirements or size....
Maybe he just shoots the big ones.;)

I have a friend who uses a hitch hauler on an SUV. There are some negatives to a hitch hauler, especially in poor road conditions, but it is sufficient to carry deer and black bear.

cornbush

No problem, had and elk (whole) on one occasion, and 2 deer behind the third row seating in my Suburban, short box pick-up is 3 times that size.

Kreyzhorse

Exactly how big of a deer are you planning on killing? Otherwise, any normal deer will fit in the back of a crew cab bed.

troy_mclure

i saw a small cow moose in the back of an f150 up in canada a few years ago.

legs sticking over the side, and nose dang near touching the ground(shoulder was 1/2 on the tailgate).

SavageSniper

After a wheel bearing failure on my boat trailer, a friend and I carried a 14ft boat, trailer, 25 horse motor and gear about 40 miles in the back of my old S10 standard cab once. Wasn't easy and never went over 35. I think a deer wont be a problem for you.

TXGunNut

Once hauled a deer home in the back of a VeeDub Rabbit. Hunting partner, his wife & kid were passengers with a bit of luggage besides. If we'd been hunting south TX rather than north we could have stuffed the rascal in the glove box. Full sized trucks are great for hauling tents, cots, my camp kitchen and a few hundred pounds of other necessities. If the 8' bed isn't full when I head out I've obviously forgotten something.

Last edited:

bamaranger

wheelbase length

Is the axle to axle length the same on a crew cab? If not it might be a bugger to back or corner with in tight places.

Status
Not open for further replies.