• I only use my sling for carrying my hunting rifle

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I don't put a sling on my hunting rifle

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I use a "stready stick" when hunting

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

ReadyOnTheRight

How many of you wrap your arm in your sling loop to steady your shot when hunting?

I've found that it really limits my range if I'm waiting for a deer to walk by and I don't know the direction, especially if I'm in a stand with shooting rails. It seems it would be great if you're stalking elk or something in open country and you know which direction you'll be shooting.

Steve Smith

Its hard to use a military sling properly when hunting unless you have the time to get set up. Using a mil sling as a "ching" works better than nothing.

ENC

I keep the screws on the dissconnectors unscrewed all the time. When I am moving, I will use the sling. When i am hunting the sling is in my game vest or backpack.

dakotasin

i use a bipod for steadying the rifle...the sling is only for carrying my rifles... before i get lit up, let me say that i hunt very wide open, flat terrain for most of my hunting, and river bluffs for the rest. a sling is not steady enough to shoot with...

Preacherman

You should really allow for double polls here... I use a Ching sling on my Steyr Scout, and a standard "hasty sling" on my other rifles, but on all of them, given a chance, I'll use a pole as a unipod to help steady my aim. With a bit of practice, you can use both sling and pole simultaneously. Sounds odd, I know, but it works - try it sometime at the range.

Redlg155

I use the Uncle Mikes QD type sling mounts so I can take them off when I'm not hiking to my area.

Just another thing to worry about when trying to be quiet through the woods. They tend to snag on brush and whatever else is out there.

However, they do come in handy when using a shooting/walking stick. Kinda awkward walking around holding a rifle in one hand and a stick in the other. :D

Good Shooting
RED

C.R.Sam

My body shape works well with GI type sling...
If adjusted for comfortable over the shoulder, it is just right for a single wrap hasty sling and quite steady.

Sam

AK103K

Once you use a Ching type sling, you'll wonder how you ever lived without one. I started making my own, using my Galco as the pattern. I even put one on one of my AR15's. There is nothing faster to get into action, just thrust your arm in the loop and your slung in. Every hunting rifle should come with one.

JIH

My slings are for carrying. I haven't needed to use a sling to steady outside of competition, and even then I spend more time worrying about the sling than the shot.

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
I'll have to second AK103's statement. Ching Sling are the way to go. They are very fast to utilize and help to stabalize the firearm remendosuly when shooting. Wouldn't leave home without one.

And FWIW lets give credit where credit is due...it is not a Cooper Type Ching Sling... it is a Ching Sling. Named after Eric Ching who was inspired by the CW Sling. A full account of the origins of the sling can be found at the above link. While Col Cooper did (re)discovery of the the Bisley Two-Point System Sling system and promoted it use Eric Ching improved the design and created his own.