Hunting Revolver

JohnKSa

Administrator
I've been hassling with a Ruger Super RedHawk in .44 Mag that won't group better than 6" at 50 yards from a rest and I'm tired of it.

I'm ready to replace it.

I want a double action revolver that is capable of taking deer & hog neatly out to 50 yards.

I could replace it with another .44 mag revolver. Obvious choices are the Redhawk, Super Redhawk and the Taurus Raging Bull.

OR, I could eliminate a caliber and go with .357 (I have other .357s and always will). I've been thinking about replacing it with a 6" barrel Ruger GP100 or the big .357 Taurus revolver built on the .44mag frame with an 8 shot cylinder (Model 608).

Suggestions?

ONLY interested in .44 & .357. Absolutely not going to purchase or consider a .454, .480, .45LC, .475, etc.

rock_jock

Man, you must be stuck with a lemon. To be sure, you should ask another experienced shooter to pur a few rounds through it from a rest. I get excellent accuracy from my SRH. You might try to trade/sell it, or have a good gunsmith take a look at it.

Kcustom45

Why not a S&W 629? I have a 629-5 Classic that is a very accurate gun. The only thing you cannot do with a S&W that you can do with a Ruger is shoot real heavy loads, which aren't absolutely necessary for deer anyway. Just curious if you had a particular barrel length in mind? Whatever you decide to go with I hope you have better luck.

Marshall-1

Wow, I have both a Super Redhawk and a Redhawk and they shoot better than that!

Let others shoot it and see what happens? BTW, you're not laying the barrel on the rest are you? Or the butt of the revolver?

Scope?

Marshall

Mike86

I'm a proud owner of a 608 (6.5") and can't say enough good about it. Micrometer adj sights, smooth trigget, ported, accurate as heck.... Of course the fun factor of seeing other peoples eyes when you swing out the cylinder is nice too, not may people expect 8 holes.

My only complaint is the red insert in the front sight is dark enough it might as well not be there.

PALongbow

My SRH can shoot half to one inch groups all day at 50 yards, however I'm using handloads and that does make a difference in some cases.

Ron

Clemson

One solution that you don't mention is a .41 magnum. My S&W 657's shoot like lazers and kick a little less than the .44's.;)

Gila Jorge

Suspect you may have gotten a lemon...rare but
entirely possible from what you say. Are you using a scope...you did not say. Are you resting the barrel on the rest as you shoot...have someone else shoot the gun and check results. Someone of known ability. When I came down with eye troubles assocaite with my diabetes I had shooting troubles....in fact that is how I discovered I had eye troubles was sighting in a rifle for Elk season. So....but if I was lonking for a hunting revolver dedicated just to hunting it woould be a Freedom Arms deluxe with trigger job. Might have it MagnaBraked as well...at least ported. It would in all likelihood be a 454 that way I could shoot 45LCs for practice and the hot stuff for hunting. Good Luck.

Ben Shepherd

I agree with the lemon theory. I own both a redhawk and a super redhawk in 44 mag. Both will easily group under 2" off a rest at 50 yards.(These are my hanloads) I also have a couple of redhawks in 357 that give comparable groups. Just got a 41 mag redhawk(finally!!!!) and I hope to get the same accuracy out of it. (My bro-in-law was able to, so if I can't, it's me, not the gun.)

Point is, that gun has a problem. Have a couple friends shoot it. Look through the "revolver checkout guide" on this forum. Then give ruger a chance to make it right. They will probably solve the problem for you free of charge.

Poohgyrr

I prefer the Redhawk to the SRH, but that's me. If Ruger wouldn't fixit for me, or I was just tired of it, I'd pickup a Redhawk or S&W- either brand used or new, and whichever I liked the best. Or even just go with a .357 like you said.

stans

My Super Redhawk can hold 3-4 inches at 50 yards, standing, two hand hold, factory sights, with factory ammo. Wonder what it can do with a scope and bench rested?

JohnKSa

Administrator
Appreciate the feedback.

The time I shot it rested, I may very well have rested the barrel on the rest--I can't remember now. However, I rarely shoot handguns rested (in fact, I believe that was the one and only time), that was only in frustration because I couldn't get it to group.

stans

Make sure you try several different loads in your SRH. Guns can sometimes be picky about what ammo they like.

Rmouleart

I would try different ammo, my SuperRedhawk 7 1/2 stainless likes .430 dia XTP& Goldot, shooting one inch groups with ease at 50 yards benched. I have reloaded .429 dia sierra's 180/200/240 jhp and did not group well at all, If your reloading try working up a load min to max and find your best grouping, sometimes its the moderate load that shoots the best, every gun is different, If this don't work maybe you did get a lemon:( Have Ruger eat it, call the repair office in Newport NH, they will either replace the barrel or cylinders or replace the gun, Ruger for the most part back up there guns as far as I have seen. good luck. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.