Hunting Possum in San Francisco

Napoleon Solo

I recently took a thrilling 12,000-mile motorcycle trip around the United States on my Harley-Davidson Road King. This is not that story...

The story begins while I prepared for that trip.

I am in the garage of my San Francisco house. I reach overhead to pull my gym-bag from the top shelf to get the long-johns inside. As I pull the gym bag, a knapsack resting on the bag slides off the shelf and hits me on the head. I instinctively stretch to catch the knapsack but only tip it. As the knapsack rolls off my fingertips, a furry animal bails out in mid-flight, tumbles thudding to the concrete floor and waddles beyond the furnace.

It happens so fast, I can't ID the hairy stow-away. The shambling trot reminds me of a porcupine. But it doesn't look like a porcupine or raccoon. I jump the critter behind a table, which scurries to the corner under the staircase's lowest step. It's a possum! He's diggin in and I can't get to him.

What the hell is some prehistoric Hillbilly kangaroo-rat doing in my San Francisco city basement? Where did he come from? And what was he doing in my knapsack?

With no experience at this thing, my roommate calls SF City Animal Control and says, "take him away, Goldie!" Yeah, right. Animal control says, "your problem, bro. Open the back door and he'll leave tonight." My roomate swears to do so.

The next day I leave for my spectacular 6-week motorcycle tour to San Diego, New York City, Virginia, Sturgis, the Rockies -- uh, ehem. Sorry, that's another story...

No sooner do I get back from Seattle the roommate says, "we got a rat problem."

Great! First a possum, now rats. The rats eat my leather motorcycle gloves. They eat the sweat-brow liner out of my $350 motorcycle helmet, ruining it. THEY EAT MY CAN OF SADDLE SOAP!"

We set traps. The sticky glue kind. They've always worked before. The next day, the bait is gone. The traps are totally gone. We look everywhere. They are gone. GONE. Now I am getting suspicious about the "rats." Could that damn possum still be here after two full months?

Time passes. I am upstairs listening to the radio and hear a "bump" downstairs. The rats knocked something over! I race downstairs and sure enough, just below the top shelf I can see a rat's tail hanging down. But it's a BIG rat, baby! I take a broom and prod a box on the top shelf. The tail disappears, but a big old grey possum scrambles up onto my suitcase on the top shelf.

It's the same damn possum! He never left. He's been living in my basement for over two months. What is this guy living on, besides leather and saddle soap?

Now I am pissed. No more mister nice guy. No, "lets trap it and bring it outside." I'm going to kill the sucker.

I prod the boxes to keep Mr. Possum wanting to stay put. I race upstairs, grab the scoped CZ rifle and a box of American Eagles. .22, High Velocity donchanknow.

I bolt downstairs and ram the broom into a couple of boxes to scare the retreating possum, who saunters back to his safe perch atop my suitcase. I load two rounds of .22 LR in the mag and ram her home. Work the bolt, aim and...

It suddenly dawns on me, like those big light bulbs that flash over cartoon characters -- I am living in the middle of a big city. I can't just fire a gun in my garage at 10:30 on a weeknight in the middle of a freaking densely-populated liberal PETA city! Even a .22 makes a decent "bang." The sound will be heard across the street. Our houses are built right up against each other so I know the neighbors will be able to hear this.

I am even more pissed and the possum keeps trying to get down.

With divine inspiration I set down the .22 rifle, race upstairs, turn on the big screen TV, whip open the DVD player and slap in "Saving Private Ryan," fast forward to the beach scene, crank the volume to VERY LOUD and run downstairs, broom the boxes to scare the possum, heft the rifle, place the crosshairs on his left shoulder, and I wait. To the thundering cadence of German artillery and 80mm mortars exploding, to the staccato chatter of MG42s raking the shore, I gently squeeze the trigger. BANG!

Yes, even .22s are pretty loud in a small basement. But I know that to the neighbors, it is just another shell from the USS Texas landing on a shore battery in Vierville.

And presto -- no more possum! .22 LR -- One shot, one kill! Let the caliber wars begin. The possum has been vaporized! (Or hidden somewhere because he is gone and I can't find him nowhere no how.)

Grinning, I think of all of the city laws I have just broken:

Possessing a loaded firearm within city limits,
Discharging a weapon within city limits,
Hunting without a license,
Hunting after sun down,
Hunting possum out of season,

Maybe even failure to call a city animal psychologist to find out if the poor critter is just afraid of coming out and getting in touch with is feminine side or his alternative sexuality.

I smile at the thought and rest easy knowing the possum won't be dining on my $800 Corbin motorcycle seat tonight. Now to just find the SOB before he starts stinking up the Place! Unless...

Unless I missed him. God, tell me I didn't miss him!!! How could I possibly miss him with a scoped rifle at 20-feet (not yards) and where the hell did he go?

redneck

Well...nice thinking on turning on the movie.

If you didn't find the ugly SOB... or at least see or hear him floppin like a tar shack in a tornado...you probably missed.

Not so hard to miss from 20 ft, when your using a scoped rifle...thats probably zeroed at 50 yards. Your point of aim is way off.

So the bright side is you can play jungle commando in the basement/garage now. The harley is now homebase cause thats what he wants to chew on. I'd recommend eating sleeping, living on that harley till the enemy has been dispatched. Send the roomate on a recon mission to find where the bullet hit your wall or shelf (a hyper velocity round would very easily go clear through the possum, an if you missed....), and hopefully the blood an hair also in that general vicinity. No blood= no hit 90% of the time.

If you have an air rifle, you might use it next time. Or take the scope off of your CZ and get some standard velocity stuff, or CB's if it will shoot them.

Happy Hunting :D

gordo b.

Use REmington Sub-sonic lr hollowpoints next time, they say "reduced noise" on box. It wont be heard out side of closed garage in your rifle and they still kill critters less than 20 pounds well, unlike CBs.

Drizzt

We used to have a problem with possums, until we decded to try to clear them all out. Shot one 3 times with a .38 before we switched to a .357. The .357 will kill a possum pretty well, but those things are tougher than they look.

Jim V

Way tougher than they look. Four footed, ugly, disgusting, bullet sponges. Get a box of the 60 grain SSS rounds.

AZTOY

Try the aguila sniper subsonic. I have used them on a wild tom cats and all it takes is 1 shot.

sven

Let me know if you need to borrow my scoped Beeman P-3 pistol - 410 FPS with a hunting point to the nose oughta take care of him. At least you won't miss!

joeoim

Napoleon: Go buy an air rifle. One shot to the head and you can just pick him up and put the carcasss in the trash. If you can afford a Harley, you can afford an air rifle. Will be cheaper than removing a .22 slug from your roommate or the bigscreen tv and won't disturb the neighbors. Those little .22 rounds will go thru possums, pipes, electrical lines....

Napoleon Solo

redneck,

I don't have an air rifle. My target .22 was pressed into varmint-gun duty cause it's the only small caliber rifle I got.

Drizzt, Jim V, and all,

I always heard possums were TOUGH to kill. That's why I used the rifle with high velocity ammo instead of the pistol with sub-sonic. I didn't want a crazed wounded possum running loose in my basement. Since I was shooting up toward the kitchen floor above, I couldn't use anything hotter than .22 LR. I wasn't worried about over-penetration, cause I figure either the bullet won't punch through or if it does, it won't be moving fast enough to do much. Good solid header & floor joists for background.

Only problem is, I can't find the sumbitch! I looked for a .22 round in the wood behind where I shot and there is no hole, so I think I got him. So, where is he? Hope he doesn't crawl off in some hidey-hole to die or I am going to have to fumigate the entire ^%$%$ house!:barf:

Napoleon Solo

joeoim,

I don't hunt possum regularly so I hope I don't need an air rifle. I would have preferred if he just walked his butt out the back door when I gave him the chance. It was him eating and ruining my $100 riding gloves and $350 helmet that made me pissed so as to want to solve the problem RIGHT NOW.

I learned the hard way how destructive possums are and I wasn't going to give him the chance to hide again. If my roomate was home, maybe we could have double teamed him and I could have bagged him or something. But all I had available was the .22, so I used it. I didn't know .22s would punch right through the guy.

People say wild boar are tough to kill and you get to thinking that .38 special will bounce right off and even .44 mag will enter but not exit. I've always heard how damn hard possum are to kill. This thing was only housecat sized but I was afraid the .22LR wasn't enough to rip him up.

I figure I must have got him and it didn't over-penetrate because I checked the header and floor joists behind him where I shot and I can't find a hole or a .22 round. If it over-penetrated, then it was moving slow enough to just bounce off the redwood joists and not punch into them.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Funny story. 'Course I don't have a dead, stinking possum in my garage either. Time will tell. ;)

Ditton on missing way close with sights set for 25 yards+.

Next time just stick the barrel up against his head a la John Wilkes Booth .... uh, & maybe use a short or sumpin so the brains don't come back atcha. ;)

Bam Bam

Gott im Himmel, if that possum crawled off into a wall to die you are gonna be sorry. :barf: You won't need the fine nose of a coon dogg to track that sucka.

Monkeyleg

"I recently took a thrilling 12,000-mile motorcycle trip around the United States on my Harley-Davidson Road King."

"They eat the sweat-brow liner out of my $350 motorcycle helmet, ruining it."

"I smile at the thought and rest easy knowing the possum won't be dining on my $800 Corbin motorcycle seat tonight."

"It was him eating and ruining my $100 riding gloves and $350 helmet that made me pissed so as to want to solve the problem."

Oooohhhhh, I'm gonna be real bad here, I just know it.

Napoleon, is there any part of your "HD experience" that doesn't carry a price tag?

kehrby

I had the displeasure of ridding my domicile of unsavory varmints this past summer. Fortunately they never entered the house but were terrorizing the cats and making a total mess of the deck on the back of my house. Mostly raccoons but there was one possum. He actually seemed to die much easier than the coons but my gosh there was blood everywhere. If you hit him there should be blood someplace. Keep an eye out. He will come back.:(

Atc1man

Think: subsonic

At the gun show last weekend I saw an ancient old .22 short bolt action. If I'm not mistaken, the short is subsonic....perfect for dispatching critters with 'discretion'.....
:D

gordo b.

The short falls short in bullet weight and the high speeds are supersonic, but I like all .22 short chambered guns!

Napoleon Solo

labgrade,

The worst thing is if I knew .22LR would do the trick, I would have just used my Ruger 22/45 from 5 feet. It wasn't like I was hunting or anything. The idiot possum was standing stock still blinking at me. The only reason I had to get back 20-feet was because the Leupold scope on my CZ is set for 50-yards and it wouldn't focus under 20 feet or so.

The good news is, I don't smell anything yet. I shot him before Thanksgiving. How long before he stinks?

Napoleon Solo

monkeyleg,

A lot of people think Harley's are EXPENSIVE. But in the long run it all seems to come out about the same.

My Road King cost 27k out the door. (I chocked when he gave me the grand total and made him add the options twice!) I could have bought a Japanese Kawasaki Nomad (great bike, by the way) for 10k less out the door. But Japanese bike parts are so exhorbitant, the bikes become disposable. You don't re-motor them so much as junk them. So I could buy a Nomad for 17k, drive it, sell for 5k (losing 12k) and buy the next for 17k in todays dollars.

Instead, I chose to buy a HD and when the motor goes, I'll replace it with a crated motor for $4,500 installed.

I am more impressed with Harleys now, since I toured the York assembly plant during my recent trip. I learned that HD places not one but TWO coats of electroless nickle under their final chrome finish. Talk about quality!

Expensive, but worth it.

Gorthaur

Dude, next time get your biggest kitchen knife and dispatch the varmint up close and personal. They make good eatin'....

MeekAndMild

Possums are slow. Last possum I did in was done with a baseball bat. Nowadays I catch them in a live catch trap and release them in a rich neighborhood where the food is better. :D

BTW, although they are the size of a cat their brain is maybe 1/10 of a cats brain. You'd think their head was all skull but its not. Instead there is a tiny little braincase then there is this huge bony ridge which supports gigantic jaw muscles. If you shot one in the head chances are the bullet would just hit muscle and bone. :confused:

Last edited: