Hunting block for $250K?

phil mcwilliam

If you had a spare $250,000 where would you buy a hunting block in the USA?
What land size & what type of game would you expect in your area?

remingtonva

probley in Iowa somewhere. nice bucks an turkeys! an Those are my 2 fav. but for my waterfowl Ill stay here in virginia

bswiv

Can't tell you "where" but think about these things.

How long are the various seasons. Here in Fl ( Mind you this is not where you would want to be......) we have a deer/hog season that runs from Sept-Jan. Some places it's a lot shorter, with gun season sometimes being only a few days!

How well you can expect the land to be keept "poacher free". Sadly a problem here......and I'd guess many other places.

Access to water. No use to have the land sitting unused outside of hunting season. Make sure there is a lake/river on it.

Gun laws........... We have some idiot ones in this country, even in some places with great hunting.

lockedcj7

It would probably be in the midlands or lowcountry of SC. I could get a pretty sizable chunk with lots of deer, turkeys and ducks and I'd still be able to travel to it on a regular basis.

Choice #2 would be in extreme north AL or middle TN. I've got family there and the hunting is good. I could build a cabin and use it as a base of operations for hunting and family visits.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I can't say exactly where it would be without doing some research but I can tell you what I'd be looking for:

The most variety of game with the most land for the money, with the fewest number of people in the vicinity and the mildest year round weather.

Priority would be:

1)Most Game
2)Fewest People
3)Most Land
4)Mildest Weather

Hog Buster

I've found my hunting paradise and it cost me a helluva lot less than $250,000. Also close to some of the greatest fresh and salt water fishing the world. Where? On the bank of the muddy Mississippi River in southern Louisiana.

PTS1

Texas Hill County. $250k will get you will you get you up to 500 acres with a lodge on it if you look around. $40.00 license gives you 2 bucks, up to 5 does during the season and all the free ranging hogs, axis, black buck, aoudad, and fallow you can shoot year round. Also good turkey hunting. Mild winters to boot.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I would use it to put a down payment on this place

Not me.... I want hunting property with a decent building not a mansion on a tiny piece of land. If I was spending $690k then I'd want a $50k building and $640k worth of land.

oneounceload

I'd invest the money and use the dividends to pay for hunting trips to a wide variety of places to experience hunting all over the world

horseman308

Don't know - my family's got a 100 acres in middle TN, which would be my first choice, but as long as it's already in the family....

My next two choices would probably either be somewhere in northern Michigan or somewhere out in northern New Mexico/Arizona or southern Idaho/Wyoming area. I always wanted to hunt elk and mule deer.