Humidity management and storage of tools/ammo

braindead0

I'm in need of some sort of storage for tools an ammo, maybe powder/primers and stuff.. And I'm kinda in a quandary about how to manage humidity. This will be in the basement, humidity isn't too bad but heck it's 60% right now, usually runs about the same in the basement.

I'm thinking about getting a stack-on cabinet. Now, I could seal it up (caulk the seams and use foam or rubber gasketing) and toss in a couple of big rechargable silica gel packets...

Or...

Let is breath a bit and put in one of those 'heater' rods?

Seems to me that the heater rods only control condensation (by keeping the inside a bit warmer than the outside?)... and I'd still have pretty high humidity... nothing stored inside would have any problem being too dry (no wood for example).

Any thoughts or suggestions? I've noticed some spots of rust on a few of my reloading tools (nothing critical yet), and thought I'd better do something..

PoiDog

My safe is in the garage and has a heater rod inside of it, after six months so far so good. No rust on any guns, with just the rod and the usual lube job.
For the reloading gear, also in the garage a light coat of oil does the trick. I'm 65 miles outside Chicago, with all of the humidity that implies. I've had primers and powder in the same garage for two years without any ill effect whatsoever. Unscientific perhaps, but everything seems okay. FWIW, I built the NRMA bench with the sliding doors , maybe that helps some. Not sure.