Hull?

Usertag

What is a Hull? Or in other Words a Primer Hull. Are they two different parts? If so explain the two.

Bailey Boat

An empty shotgun shell is usually referred to as a "hull". A "primer" should be obvious, if the 2 are combined I could see a "primed hull"... which are available commercially for reloaders.

Uncle Buck

I am in agreement with Bailey Boat on this.

Unless you mean an actual primer hull. (A term I have never heard before) It could be a used primer. A hull is something that is usually left over after something has been used up. (He is a hull of the man he was before his divorce.)

Last edited:

Usertag

Thank You, and of course I know what a primer is. And NOW I know what a Hull is. Why I asked what a primer hull is. Was from me seeing a thread earlier that metioned it. And I was just curious on what it could possibly be (absolutely nothing). Thank You, Come Again

DnPRK

Primers have a "cup", "anvil" and priming mix. I have never heard "hull" associated with a primer.

DaleA

Thanks for posting Usertag. Our sport has so many goofy and arcane terms it hard to know what's 'real' and what's just goofy. And sometimes the goofy becomes real (boolits comes to mind).

Hope you stay courageous enough to ask about the next one you encounter too.

Uncle Buck

Usertag: Could you paste the link to the other thread and maybe we can figure out what they were referring to? I am really curious.

oneounceload

"Primer hull" was mentioned once in that thread by that OP - I suspect he was talking about the cup of the primer, or the part that holds the other primer components

44 AMP

Staff
have read the thread, and from context, he is using the word hull for the primer cup. Probably a local term.

Also based on the info he supplied, he isn't going about things in a very smart or safe way.

Uncle Buck

44AMP is dead on. A used primer.

Thanks, something else I will have to try to remember in the great lexicon of shooting and reloading.