HS6 and 45 colt

Wendyj

I've been using Unique with 250 grain laser cast and Missouri lead bullets. No gas checks. Picked up a pound of HS6 to try today. Have read I can get a little more velocity. 9 grains Unique giving me 1112 fps with the Missouri bullet. Tried max load of 6.3 grains of Titegroup on the lazercast and groups were terrible. Didn't chronograph because grouping not worth it. Anyone use the HS6?? These are out of a Henry rifle.

AL45

I've used HS6 with 200 and 250 grain out of a Ruger Blackhawk. As I recall, the 200 grain was very accurate. I don't recall how accurate the 250 grain was.

Wendyj

Max load shows 10.5 for colt actions. I would like to stretch it out about 2 more grains without damage to rifle or self. Most forums state the Henry and Marlin are equal in strength. I've taken both apart and see little difference. I'm pretty sure your Blackhawk is stronger than either my Henry or Marlin. Ruger didn't pull any punches when they made the Blackhawk and RedHawk.

AL45

According to my notes, I used 10.3 grains under the 250 grain bullet. I listed it as a moderate load. I don't remember it being a handful.

Wendyj

That would fill the case a little better. Is the Blackhawk the only 45 you load for? I'm shooting some #4 Missouri and Lazercasr. Both are .452. With Unique I got a one hole 4 shot group last week and a flyer my fault about 1/4 inch from it. Scoped 2x7 at 75 yards. I just want to crank it up to get out to 150 yards if possible and keep enough energy for ethical deer shot.

AL45

I reload for a Redhawk which is very comparable to the Blackhawk as far as strength. I don't own a .45 Colt rifle but would like to. I've read a lot of conflicting comments about the strength of the various rifles vs the various pistols. I've loaded some pretty hot stuff for the Blackhawk and Redhawk. I have a 300 grain, 325 grain and 350 grain load that is at about 1200 FPS out of my 7 1/2 Redhawk. Recoil is stiff but actually not too bad. These loads are in the 25,000 to 30,000 pressure range which according to what I have read is about as far as you want to go in a Redhawk or Blackhawk. The cases have all ejected fine and the primers don't look bad. They are considered "Ruger Only" loads.

AL45

By the way, sounds like very good accuracy. It will be interesting to see what it does at 150 yards. I was shooting my Redhawk at 50 yards last week offhand. I shot a one hole group....until I fired the gun a second time. LOL

USSR

I shoot John Linebaugh's load of 13.0gr of HS-6 behind a 250-270gr lead bullet. Nice moderate velocity load. One thing with HS-6, be sure to use a magnum primer.

Don

Nick_C_S

I don't load 45 Colt. But I have a lot of experience with HS-6 in the "other" revolver cartridges (38/357, 44 Mag/Spl).

I'll tell you that it burns cool so it's rather well suited for lead. But it doesn't ignite easily, so in large cases (i.e. revolver), I do strongly recommend a magnum primer - as USSR stated.

It also performs best with heavy bullets - I think you have that covered with the 250's.

And it also performs best when you wind it up pretty stout. Now I don't know exactly what that means in 45 Colt. All I'm saying is to not judge its performance until you work up the load were it cleans up and starts giving consistent results. At which point, I think you'll be pleased. Will it outperform (more velocity than) Unique? I dunno. My gut tells me no. But I could be wrong. Since you already have the propellant, I guess you'll find out in due time.