HS Precision stocks

HKGuns

Tell me about HS precision stocks? Good - Bad - Decent? What makes them good, bad or decent? They appear to be relatively expensive, are they worth the money? Why or why not?

HKFan9

HS Percision stocks are some of the best stocks you can get.

Others like above.. have a gripe over a certain marketing incident the company did... but I don't get caught up in such useless arguments.

Fact is they are a quality stock, and many many many people use them... including Remington who has a contract with them for their LE rifles. So I guess if you won't use a HS stock, you shouldn't use a Remington rifle either.

I had one that came on my 700 LTR in 6.8SPC, and I have one on another 700 Tactical in 6.8SPC. They are solid and don't flex any, full aluminum bedded, great texture feel to them. Both of these rifles (I sold the LTR) shot 3/8 MOA with 110 grain reloads (if I did my part:rolleyes:)

HKFan9

I had a Choate stock on a Savage 10 I had. The stock functioned great, but the fit and finish was not up to par as the HS or McMillans. They are definitely a viable option, I was pleased with mine, but the HS is a little more refined.

PawPaw

Oh boy, had no idea I was opening this can of worms.

Yeah, I hate it when that happens. It's a shame, it really is a shame, and in my humble opinion, the problem has to do more with the management of the company rather than the products. No one will deny that HS Precision makes really nice products, indeed, in many categories, they make some great stuff.

However, I'll never knowingly own any product manufactured by HS Precision.

taylorce1

I wont own one for the simple fact that A kid killer is on their payroll.

Is he still on the payroll? HS made a mistake, and may not have apologized for it as much as some people would like. Still doesn't change the fact that it is a good stock.

I wouldn't turn away from an HS stock if it fit my needs. I tend to like McMillians better as I like thier hunting styles better and I've only got an Edge at the moment. I did have a M70 FWT for a short time and it was a nice stock as well.

PawPaw

taylorce1 said:
and may not have apologized for it as much as some people would like

If my memory serves, they never apologized at all, simply made a statement that they would no longer use product endorsements. That was tone-deaf at best. The one guy they used for a product endorsement was probably the most toxic name in the business.

taylorce1 said:
I tend to like McMillians better as I like thier hunting styles better

+1 on the McMillans. Every example I've seen has been wonderful. If I were in the market for an extremely nice stock, I'd probably give McMillan the nod.

Cowboy_mo

I have no personal experience with HS stocks but I did check them out when re-stocking my Win Model 70. I searched, researched, and price shopped all the major brands. I wound up purchasing a Hogue stock for my rifle and couldn't be happier. That stock cut my groups by more than 1/2 and their recoil pad is superb. I went with one that was was pillar bedded as it was much cheaper than their fully bedded models.

dvdcrr

FWIW I had an HS precision stock. Sent with rifle to Shilen for custom barrel. Got the rifle back with a note saying the stock needed a bedding job. Last thing I expected after plunking down 300 for a stock. The recoil lug was also not bearing on the aluminum block. I glass bedded it and there was definitely a gap.

blacksky

+ A Quadzillion Ones To PawPaw!

+1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

To PawPaw!:D

If my memory serves, they never apologized at all, simply made a statement that they would no longer use product endorsements. That was tone-deaf at best. The one guy they used for a product endorsement was probably the most toxic name in the business.

+1 on the McMillans. Every example I've seen has been wonderful. If I were in the market for an extremely nice stock, I'd probably give McMillan the nod:D

taylorce1

PawPaw, it isn't much of an apology but here was the offical comment by HS after the 2008 endorsement.

H-S Precision has received comments relating to individual testimonials in our 2008 catalog. All of the testimonials focused on the quality, accuracy and customer service provided by H-S Precision.

The management of H-S Precision did not intend to offend anyone or create any type of controversy. We are revising our 2009 catalog and removing all product testimonials.

Fusion

I also will not own a HS Precision stock, or support a company that would do anything of that sort, and not even attempt to apologize for it. I don't care how good their products may be, they won't get my money after an incident like that.

That fact aside, there are other stocks that are just as good or better in the price range so you don't have to give up anything by avoiding them. The McMillans are the way I'd probably go.

jmr40

McMillan is the way to go if you want the "Best" lightweight hunting stobck. They are also very expensive. A standard weight McMillan (30-32oz.) will run you around $475 shipped, one of the really lightweights (20-22 oz.), around $550. I've got 4 rifles in McMillan stocks and love the idea of having a very stiff rigid atock that weighs about 1/2 what a standard factory stock weighs.

The HS-Precison stock uses a much different construction method. They use a much cheaper way to build the stocks, but use an aluminum bedding block that is not needed with McMillan. They get all their strength from the aluminum bedding block. Without that they would be very weak. This does end up making a very rigid stock that shoots well. They also make for a very heavy stock (40-48 oz.)

Politics aside, if I couldn't afford a McMillan, and didn't mind the extra weight I'd just as soon have a Bell and Carlson Medalist. They use the same construction methods as the HS, are just as good in my experience and sell for just over $200 vs around $350 for the HS.

You don't mention what type of rifle, or what you plan on using it for. B&C does offer some stocks they call Lightweights for some models. Their lightweights run around 30-32oz, which ain't really all that light, but is still better than their 40oz standard weight stocks. If we are talking about a hunting rifle, or a varmit/tactical rifle would have a huge impact on my decision. For me, I'd pay the extra to save the weight on a rifle I'm carrying for miles in the mountains. On a heavy tactical rifle that were only shot at the range, I'd save the money and go with a heavier stock.