Hs-6

branrot

I've been using Bullseye and more recently HP-38 for my 9mm's. I'm in the process of converting my Dillon 650 to load .38 and .357, and bought some Winchester 231 since I heard good things about it, but my Hodgdon reloading manual didn't support it, so I traded it on some HS-6 (store was real nice). Anyone have experience with HS-6? Any suggestions for .38 (I'll be using West Coast Bullets 135 gr. Bill Moyer bullets)?

Chemistry

Hodgdon HS6 is a medium slow burning powder, somewhat similar to AA #7, Alliant Power Pistol, VV N350, etc.

It is an excellent powder for the higher pressure cartridges, such as the 9 mm, 10 mm, .40, .357 magnum, and 357 Sig. You can get good velocities without hitting high pressures.

Also, it burns pretty cleanly in these higher pressure cartridges.

I have never used it for lower pressure cartridges (such as the .38 Special or .45 ACP), so I cannot give you a comparison on this matter.

bowhnter

I just stopped using HS-6 for my 9mil. If you charge the case then seat the bullet, if there is enough volume of powder, the case may bulge. I did have this problem which in turn caused FTF's & FTRTB. Both in a compact 9, which may add to the problem as there is less weight to aid to slide movement.

WESHOOT2

HS6 (W540?)

Excellent in 'medium' loads; testing required.

I've used it in: 38 Special, 357 Mag, 9x19, 9x21, 38 Super, 40 S&W, 10mm, 41AE, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt.

Oh, and 400 Cor-Bon (still haven't found those cases:)

kbsrn

Info

The Winchester site has a good reloading manual free for their powders on the site to download.

cukrus

HS6

My powder of choice for 158gr SWCHP in .38 Special - use Hodgon data. Also fine for .357 Mag though I have a preferrednce for HS7 there. Nothing wrong with WW231 which is close enough to HP38, IMHO, to interchange data. Either 231 or HP38 would be my choice for lighter loads.

Coolray

My uncle is a commerical reloader and he buys powder in 100# drums and has gotten several drums marked both 231 and HS6 both powders look the same, you decide.

EchoFiveMike

And Titegroup looks like Longshot too, but it would be a REAL bad idea to interchange reloading data based only on looks. Do you mean that the drums were marked Winchester 231 and HS-6 on the same drum? S/F...Ken M

cheygriz

I use HS-6 exclusively in 9MM, .40, .45 ACP, .45 LC, and .38Spec.

In the .38 and .45s, I load only +P type loads, so HS-6 works fine. It is not particularly suitable for low pressure target loads. I am currently working up loads in the 10MM with HS-6, and I will be using it exclusively in the 10MM soon.

IMHO, HS-6 is the most versatile powder made for full power loads in most pistol calibers.

It also meters well through powder measures, and is very consistent.

If I could have only one powder for my handgun needs, that powder would be HS-6.