HS-6 load data for .308?

Starvingboy

Anyone have load data for .308 using hs-6? I had one of those moments: Just reloaded some 200+ rounds, cleaning up and found I had used the wrong powder. At least I noticed the mistake. If any of you powder-burn-rate types have the data, it would be appreciated.

Before the safety cops chime in, yea, I'll probably pull it all and start over.

steve4102

HS-6 is a very fast pistol/shotshell powder. It is not designed for the 308. Even small amounts of this type of powder can blow you and your rifle sky high. The only time powders like this can be used in rifle cartridges is in very small amounts for reduced loads. Even then it is not such a good idea.

I'll probably pull it all and start over.

I'm guessing you loaded somewhere in the vicinity of 45gr of HS-6 in your 308? This is more than enough to kill you and everyone around you! Pull those bullets immediately before someone dies!

Starvingboy

Yep, caught it before I started shooting. Good thing, though I'm curious if my gun would have held up. So, anyone have a bullet puller for sale cheap?

Heh, or if anyone has a .308 gun that they want to try 45 grains of hs-6 tracer loads in, I have a bunch that I would be willing to part with :D

T. O'Heir

Kinetic bullet pullers run about $30 or so.
16.7 grains of HS6 with a 200 grain JHP out of a .44 mag produces 37,700 cup. Your rifle would have blown.

jimkim

Go ahead and pull it. You cant be too careful. If you decide to load some cast bullets with HS-6 try the one of the cast bullet forums.