HS-6: .45ACP, 10mm Auto, .41 Mag, .44 Special, .44 Mag

redhawk41

I’ve been looking around at different powders and found decent loads using HS-6 for all the above calibers. Is it too good to be true? One powder for all these? Is it a case of “jack-of-all master of none”? What am I missing here?

BillM

I use a lot of HS-6 for USPSA Major 9 loads. It works well with a full case/slightly compressed load. Anything less and it is dirty. Really dirty. Meters well, not noticeably temperature sensitive.

Nick_C_S

Jack of all trades is in the eye of the loader.

I loaded with HS-6 for quite a few years back in the 80's. Then I had a renaissance with it during the great shortage of 2013. It was all I could get in that burn rate range, and so I picked up quite a bit of it.

For me, I'm not a fan. It's a low energy propellant; and as thus, doesn't really run well until you load it up good n stout. So that leaves out 44 Special and 45 ACP entirely - these rounds just don't have the pressure for HS-6. (IMO)

I don't load 41 Mag, but have had good luck with it in 10mm and 44 Mag. In all cases, it definitely burns most consistently pushing heavy bullets. 180's and 240's respectively.

I guess I'm kind of persnickity. For instance, I'm the guy who thinks there's nothing particularly versatile about Unique. I think Unique runs well pushing 230's full-throttle in 45 ACP; and 125's in 357 Magnum - and that's it. Otherwise, Unique has not impressed me - and I've used it for decades.

I have yet to find a jack of all trades pistol powder. Coincidentally, these days, I've been kind of thinking that BE-86 might be it. And I've even thought about making a post about just that. But I haven't quite done enough testing to come to that conclusion just yet. I'm getting ahead of myself. But it really does seem to be neat stuff.

MarkCO

I've had good luck with it in 10mm and .41Mag. Not for the lower pressure, lighter slug loads at all. I need a faster powder for .45 for sure. No longer load .44 Mag or .44 Spl.

rc

I tried HS6 years ago and I didn't like it at all. won't buy again. I used it in 9mm, 38 and 357. There is no powder that is ideal in all calibers but some that does very well in many pistol rounds.

Some top picks for do it all powders are:

Universal Clays likes to be pushed to over 30,000 cup and works great in 9mm and 40.
231 works well for lower pressure cartridges up to the low 30s like 32 Long and 45acp but can make moderate loads in 357 mag.

Unique likes to be pushed hard above 30,000 cup and is a better choice than Universal in large cases like 44 mag with cast bullets.

700X also does well in many pistol rounds and is available for $25 a pound right now. Sure better than $40 a pound!

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0003497001/hi-skor-700x-smokeless-powder-14-oz

Marco Califo

I consider BE-86 to be the "one" for 9mm, 40SW, and 45 ACP. But, I do not load magnum revolvers. I consider Longshot, Auto-Comp, CFE-Pistol very useful, in heavy loads.

Last edited:

MarkCO

I'm a fan of BE-46 and WSF for a "one" powder for the standard pistol calibers. Power Pistol for the stouter ones. I wanted to like Lil Gun, but I am moving away from it and have a pound each of Longshot and Enforcer.

Nick_C_S

BE-86 looks compelling…

BE-86 is excellent stuff. It's a much higher energy propellant than HS-6; and that by itself, makes it more versatile. High energy propellants can be used for reduced loads and still run consistent.

So far, I've had excellent results with it in many calibers. I am pleased (thoroughly impressed, actually) with it in 45 ACP - strong loads, heavy bullets. 38 and 44 Special - again, strong (+P, if you will) loads. 44 Magnum - reduced loads, 210gn bullets (I'm getting too old for the full-throttle stuff). Plated 158's in 357 Mag (reduced). 135gn Gold Dots in 357 (short barrel, low flash defense load). Yep, it seems to be able to do lots of stuff.

I want to play with it in 9mm, and maybe reduced 10mm loads. This season is over however, so any further testing will have to wait 'till next year.

But yeah, so far, BE-86 has left me quite impressed.

Hammerhead

Hated HS-6 in revolvers, filthy, it’s the only powder that choked my guns.
Great stuff in autos though.
Need to give BE86 a try.

Shadow9mm

I have use and had good luck with power pistol in 9mm, 38spl, 357 mag, 44spl, 44mag, and 45 auto. As I understand it BE-86 is power pistol with a flash suppressing chemical added. Only downside is that Power Pistol tend to have large bright yellow fireballs in my experience but has worked well in everything I have tried it in.

I am currently tinkering around with CFE pistol, but found it performed poorly in 38spl and 44spl. Best guess is it does not like the lower operating pressures of these cartridges. working well in 9mm and 45 auto, have not tried it in 357 mag yet.

Nick_C_S

Guess there’s always good ol’ W231…

To me, this ^ is the most versatile pistol powder. But I guess it's automatically disqualified by most as a versatile powder because it's fast. It's not an intermediate burner, so it gets left behind as a possible choice for a lot of applications.

But heck yeah, W231 (or HP-38) does a LOT of things that work for my load/shoot style. I don't use it in magnum cartridges (or 10mm), but otherwise, it gets used in just about every other cartridge, for at least some applications. In my head, W231 is definitely versatile.

rc

Shadow, CFE is slower than Universal Clays. It doesn't work well in low pressure cases either. In low pressure cartridges faster powder like bullseye, 231, AA#2, 700X, Clays would be more optimum.

4 powders will cover most reloading needs.

231 32 Long, 38 special, 9mm, 40, 10mm, 45 ACP

Unique 9mm, 40, 10mm, 357 mag, 44 mag

296 32 mag, 327 Federal, 357 mag, 44 mag

4895 Most rifle from 223 to 30-06.

MarkCO

4 powders will cover most reloading needs.

231 32 Long, 38 special, 9mm, 40, 10mm, 45 ACP

Unique 9mm, 40, 10mm, 357 mag, 44 mag

296 32 mag, 327 Federal, 357 mag, 44 mag

4895 Most rifle from 223 to 30-06.

I picked up a pound of W231 off a prize table last year. It was good. I'm almost out of N320, a few pounds of Clays left. I guess I could get by with WSF and AA#9 if I had to.

I could get by with TAC and H4831SC if I had to, for rifle.

rc

I've never tried WSF but I've seen it in a lot of Winchester pistol recipes. I have tried WAP and #5 which have similar consistency and bun rates. How does it compare?

MarkCO

I've never tried WSF but I've seen it in a lot of Winchester pistol recipes. I have tried WAP and #5 which have similar consistency and bun rates. How does it compare?

It's a little slower than #5 or WAP. Fairly clean for medium to upper end loads. It is not spikey, which is one reason I like it for .40S&W. Lots of use in heavy 12g loads. It's a tad slow for 9mm and the bunny fart loads, for which I use E3.

Marco Califo

What is WAP?
A powder discontinued by Winchester; born-again as Silhoutte (Ramshot), replaced at Winchester by AutoComp, which is a little faster.
I think we should use the actual names as published in current data.

Last edited: