HP Range Report, Dedicated to Mr. Camp...

Stringfellow

I went to the range on Friday with my new Hi Power and intended to write a range report, with among other things, a big thanks to Stephen Camp for his advice and inspiration to buy the pistol. It was with heavy heart that apparently I didn't get the report out before he passed away.

I have come to realize that I prefer all-steel pistols, so it is no surprise that I eventually found my way to the Hi Power. I read Mr. Camp's Hi Powers and Handguns website (http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/) initially for all the good info on other pistols. But I eventually became intrigued that so many people could be so enthusiastic about a 75+ year old pistol. Without a doubt he gets credit for first piquing my interest. Since then, I don't know how many times I have read all of his posts, but I enjoy reading them just as if for the first time.

Since I am at it, I should also thank Rellascout. He went back and forth with me on some threads, and convinced me that not only is the Hi Power an excellent pistol, but it might be a good match for me.

And I should thank JayPee for his excellent writing about the Hungarian FEG HP. From his research, I was convinced that if I ever came across one at a good deal, I shouldn't hesitate to snag it. (See his articles at http://feghp.blogspot.com/2010_02_01_archive.html).

Well I came across a NIB FEG HP at a price that would have been a bargain in the 1990s, so I snagged it. After some initial worries about hammer bite (which turned out to be a non-issue) and some horrible trigger issues, I took it to the range.

First of all, Mr. Camp, Rellascout, and some others had some great suggestions for hammer bite. I have pretty big hands and am prone to hammer bite. I feared the worst. I came to find that the round "ring" hammers that I love so much are poison to me--I get hammer bite just by racking the slide. But my pistol came with a traditional spur hammer, and it doesn't touch me whatsoever. The angle of the spur follows the angle of my fist perfectly, so it could be half an inch longer and would still never bite me.

Second, Hi Powers come standard with a magazine safety, that among other things tends to ruin the trigger pull most of the time. Mine was horrific--the pistol equivalent to fingernails on a chalkboard. But folks talked me through it, and gave me hope that mine could be fixed. Given my sketchy track record of amateur gunsmithing, I sent mine away to Bill Springfield (http://www.triggerwork.net/BHP.html). Thank you Bill!!! My trigger is now amazing--better than I could have hoped. Crisp and smooth, without a perceptible trace of grit of any kind whatsoever.

I had some trouble finding the right grips, but folks were a big help in this regard also. I tend to like the feel of rubber grips, and settled on Hogues. I still think Hogues are ugly, and I think they especially detract from the elegance of the HP. But their feel is undeniable. When you get that "lock" to your grip where the pistol feels like an extension of your hand, you know you made the right choice.

When I finally got to the range, it was pure joy. The HP somehow felt like I had been shooting it for decades. It just felt right, and it shot where I aimed. The weight, the balance, the grip...it just felt so comfortable, so familiar. It is hard to put into words--so I hope you all have had such an experience so that you know what I mean.

DSC_0070.jpg
Here it is.

DSC_0068.jpg
That's what I took to the range that day--the HP, a Browning Buck Mark (with reflex site, and 1911 grip adapters), and my new Kahr CW9. The Kahr is an engineering marvel IMHO, but that is another discussion for another day.

DSC_0073.jpg
This was at 7 yards, and that dot is a dime-sized price tag sticker. And I am not really even that good of a shot. But for perspective, the Buck Mark will put an entire mag into the dot at the same distance.

DSC_0065.jpg
The orange dots are about quarter size. The top was at 7 yards, and the bottom was 5.

I am a bit later than I would have liked, but thank you Mr. Camp. Just as you said, I didn't have any problems with hammer bite. And now I see what you saw in the HP...

Doogle

I'm afraid so. Stephen Camp passed recently...>

...at the age of (only) 59 from a brain aneurysm, from what I read. I must say it has come as a bit of shock to me as I didn't know, either, (I checked Google to find out). It was probably posted on TFL but I must have missed it.

Although I didn't know Stephen I learned a heck of a lot from his articles and posts and he always struck me as a very decent bloke, extremely knowledgeable, and without any pretense. In a large part he helped me make the decision to acquire a BHP.

It is very sad news.

Stringfellow - thanks for the report and I'm glad to see you are enjoying your BHP.

Last edited:

Don Glock

good report. nice of you to dedicate it to Stephen. :eek:

he was a nice guy, for sure. i still have some of his pm's in my inbox. always willing to chat. :(

IanS

It was truly sad to hear of his passing. A real gentleman and a great friend to everyone in the firearms community. He will be missed.

Rest in Peace.

fightingbard

I am very very sorry to hear about Mr. Camp. So many people have learned a lot from his writings, including myself. A great man, who took time to share his experience, his wisdom with all.
He will truly be missed by whole world's firearms community.

Amin Parker

I am really sad hearing about his passing. I read about it this morning on my way to a competition.

I really tried my best to win the 9mm event to dedicate to Mr Camp but was just not good enough.

I did win the Pin Revolver event and dedicate it to my dear friend Mr Stephen Camp.

It was an honour knowing him. He was wise, humble and a genuine person. We never met in person but i consider him a dear friend.

Rest in peace my friend. I will miss you.

Billy Shears

I'm very sorry to read of Mr. Camp's demise.

He was truly a firearms scholar and a gentleman.

Well said. I was just recently e-mailing back and forth with Mr. Camp about his book and a couple of questions I had regarding one of my Hi-Powers. This is a complete shock and a terrible loss for firearms and outdoor enthusiasts everywhere.

He was a rare sort on gun forums...a guy who truly knew his subject down to the last detail and had a real passion for sharing his knowledge with others. Mr. Camp could read through some of most contentious conversation threads around here and ignore all the bickering and not lose his temper and could always offer some tidbits of wisdom from his decades of firearms experience and research.

He'll be missed.

Martowski

I am so sorry to hear of Mr. Camp's passing. I've been on these online forums for quite awhile and while I never knew him in person I always trusted his advice and spent many hours (as recently as this last week) reading the content of his website as well. The online firearms community has lost a great resource and trusted advisor.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Stringfellow - - -

You did a good range report, one that is indeed a fitting tribute to Steve Camp.

All those who wish to tell others about their new handguns would do well to go to Steve's blog site and read his range reports. They were always clearly written, well organized, and especially, strictly honest. He reported the good, trhe bad, and the ugly concerning each item he reviewed. Ever willing to discuss almost any topic, he had no time for silly bickering and petty arguments.

Nicely done, sir.
Johnny

Smaug

Good write-up

They're great guns. I've got a Daly Hi-Power, and even without any work done on it, it has a good trigger pull. (it still has the magazine disconnect)

I too love the feel of the Hogues. Like you said, this gun feels like an extension of the arm with the Hogues. I put them on my 1911 just last week, and it is much better than stock, but the gun is just not as ergonomically designed as a Hi-Power.

I also have to agree that they're not much to look at, but when you let someone else handle the gun, look at his facial expression. I've noticed the expression is usually one of awe, followed by a smile.

It's a shame no one makes a value model any more, like they do with 1911s. Maybe that is the next phase when gunmakers run out of ideas. They did it with cars, now that they're out of new ideas, and it seems to be going smashingly well for them. (Mustang, Challenger, Camaro) Here's to hoping!

Here's my Hi-Power with the pre-Hogue 1911.

0f45dd50.jpg

3d5234a5.jpg

Stringfellow

Thanks for the kind words Johnny.

Smaug--I have the same experience with my 1911 too. I really hate the look of the Hogue grips. I keep changing grips, but keep coming back to the Hogues. My most recent configurations were Pearce finger groove grip inserts along with 1) Hogue rubber palm swells, and then 2) Hogue checkered rubber grips.

The Hogue checkered rubber grips along with Pearce finger groove inserts looked awesome...but my HP Hogue finger groove grips inspired me to try my original Hogue 1911 finger groove grips again. The instant I grabbed the handle, I knew that I had no choice in the matter. The Hogues are ugly but they feel so much better than anything else.

P1010126.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Personal choices

The above writings by Stringfellow and Smaug tend to underscore the fact that sidearms - - pistols, knives, swords - - are intensely personal items. I personally dislike making any change that alters the functional "feel" of a weapon that may be grabbed for in a crisis.

When young, I knew I had large hands. I thought to customize my pistols by installing oversize stocks, to obtain a "better grip." I still own a fairly wide selection of stocks for the 1911-types: Ivory, stag, sterling silver, and several types of wood. I have fewer but still assorted sizes of revolver stocks for Colt and S&W revolvers in different frame sizes.

In time, though, I came to realize that each 1911 type should have identical stocks. I could have an especially fitted-out pistol for IPSC matches, and finely hone my speed shooting. But what profit if my day to day carry piece, Commander or Government Model, feels so different that I can't wield it equally well? Over the years I've accustomed my hands to grip my fighting guns with absolutely standard dimension stocks. I prefer nice, checked wood, and I have one pair of ivory with circumference within a quarter inch of that of GI plastic handles.

I really LIKE the stocks on my Canadian military Hi Power. They are ugly black composite, factory relieved for a lanyard ring, but identical in size to factory Browning and a set of Null wood stocks on my commercial guns. I shoot pretty well with any of these.

My personal belief is that training will usually triumph. I've made so many thousands - - no, TENS of thousands - - of draw strokes with standard size 1911 stocks, that memory bumps, finger grooves, or king size girth stocks feel uncomfortable to me. I long ago gave up on trying to equip my way to success.

For those of you still seeking out your level of comfort with what will, or MAY, become your chosen sidearm, good luck to you. Please, though, spend at least as much money on practice ammo as you do on your pistol d'jour and accessories. Devote as much time to live fire and dry fire practice as you do to searching shops and gun shows for nifty gadgets. If you settle on a type or model radically different from what I choose, then good for you, and I'll look forward to shooting with you. I'm not so old and set in my ways that I can't learn from you. ;)
Johnny