Hows an AP-74 work? (POS)

281 Quad Cam

so my girlfriend got a new rifle, a hand-me-down .22lr Jager Ap-74, but neither of us can figure out how it works, the bolt is locked open as of now, and for the life of me I can't close the
thing...

Now I only inspected it for maybe 1 minute and moved on with life, but all the magazine and bolt catch levers and buttons are fake, and so for about a month now the bolt has remained locked open, and the magazine stuck in it. This b/c i cannot find any button or lever to unlock bolt movement, or magazine catch.

(PS, i tried pulling the charging handle back but it just moves about 2-3 inches back before it stiffens and I applied a fair amount of pressure to it, more than it takes to cycle a new Oly Arms AR-15, to no affect, for fear of breaking the POS, i stopped)

and as im sure the empty mag in it has soemthing to do with the bolt being locked back, if anyone has info on just that - it would be of help!

anyone got a book, webpage, somethin to give a quick rundown of operation?

Lord Grey Boots

Sounds like the mag follower is holding the bolt back. Its supposed do that in most rifles.

Does the bolt stay back with the magazine removed?

281 Quad Cam

i understand that :D

but i also can't get the magazine out of the thing! :(

there are absolutely no exposed functional buttons, catches, or levers, that i saw during my brief examination.

MAKOwner

The mag catch is down near the bottom of the fake m16 mag, I forget which side. The bolt hold open lever is on the left side of the receiver where it normally is on a AR, only you slide it down instead of just pushing it in (I believe you push it on a real AR anyway). Or if you take out the mag out and pull back on the charging handle just a bit and release it will close as well. Once you get the mag out you will see there is screw head looking thing sticking out on one side of the mag that you can use to pull the follower down for ease of loading the mag. That is also the catch that pushes up the bolt hold open when the mag is empty.

My AP74 was pretty nice, I had a A2 sytled one (round handguards, birdcage FS, etc)... Only downside is they get dirty/gritty really quickly, and will start to jam until cleaned, and it's a bitch to get all the grit outta the receiver. Also, spare mags are hard to find and often expensive. The firing pin is also made of substandard metal or something, mine would mushroom if dryfired much at all, then it would start not hitting the cartridge rims hard enough to fire.... I only recently parted with mine, wasn't using it any but it was my first gun. It sure looks good, but for strictly a plinker or good shooter you would be better served with a 10/22 or something though.

Oh yeah, to take down the rifle there is a take down pin in I believe the regular spot for ARs, near the back of the receiver. Push it out with a punch or screwdriver or whatever and the upper hinges open. You have to have the bolt closed though, due to the fact that the bolt carrier goes back far enough to prevent it from hinging open.

281 Quad Cam

thanks alot, i had noticed the bolt catch button before, but it doesnt push in so i ignored it - but if it slides down ill have to try that later, thanks again!

dZ