Howa package - how good?

I bought the same package last year in .30-06....I loved it while I had it. The Hogue stock really wasn't my thing, mostly because it had too much flex, but the Howa action was pretty smooth.

The Niko Stirling scope wasn't too bad. It had a very repeatable zero, and the glass was pretty clear. It's not as clear as my Leupold but it holds it's own. The 1/4 windage and elevation adjustments seemed pretty accurate when sighting in, but I'm really not a fan of the coin slot turrets.

If you're looking for a budget package it's really not a bad deal. You can also use that action to build a real gem of a rifle.

jhgreasemonkey

You would be hard pressed to find anyone that will say anything negative about that package. I was looking into those a few years back but ended up getting a better deal on a nice savage. All reviews on the howa were positive. People here and fellow shooters had good things to say. Also those scopes are supposed to be a real good bang for buck. They are not as low line as the other package gun scopes.

kiltman

I work in a gun shop here and I steer new rifle owner to the Howa its a good buy on a great rifle. All my customer who have bought them say the are suprised at how well the shoot.

sholling

I have two of these. The Howa M-1500 is a good accurate well made rifle with a good smooth action. It's not usually advertised or encouraged but the trigger is easily adjustable down from a crisp 4lbs stock, to a still safe 3lbs.

I personally like the Hogue stocks. They're a tad heavier than plain plastic but more comfortable. The barrel is fully free floated so I'm not worried about a dinky bit of flex. The 3-9x42 or 3.5-10x42 Nikko-Stirling Platinum Nighteater (not to be confused with the BSA priced Silver and Gold series) scopes that are bundled are probably a bit better than a Bushnell Banner and very usable. That didn't stop me from replacing both of mine with Nikon Monarchs but you could get by just fine with the Nighteater.

Logs

You will love it. My brother bought a Howa 30.06 for $269 NIB last year with stainless barrel. Very accurate rifle and one heck of a price. We have had it at the range several times and used Greek Garand ammo and it shoots under 2 inch groups at 100 yards. I have two Remingtons 700 and the Howa will shoot just as well.

Come to think of it, Mel E. over at SniperCentral uses those actions to build custom rifles guaranteed to shoot like .5 MOA.

The barrel is fully free floated so I'm not worried about a dinky bit of flex.

I wasn't either until I put a bipod on it or sat it on some shooting sticks....then it wasn't free-floating anymore. :) Maybe pillar bedding it would help?

sholling

I wasn't either until I put a bipod on it or sat it on some shooting sticks....then it wasn't free-floating anymore. Maybe pillar bedding it would help?
Hogue overmolds come in two flavors. Pillar bedded and fully bedded with the fully bedded being much more money. I suspect that they come pillar bedded to save money.

5RWill

Do howa 1500s have the same stocks as weatherby vanguards. I know they are pretty much the same but what about the stocks?

DWARREN123

Howa does or has built rifles and barreled actions for many companies over the years and have a very good reputation. They are one of the good deals out there.

sholling

Do howa 1500s have the same stocks as weatherby vanguards. I know they are pretty much the same but what about the stocks?
No the Howas come with either a plain synthetic stock or bundled with a Hogue stock. All of the ones I've seen in stores had the nicer Hogue stock. The Weatherby comes with a completely different synthetic stock. I prefer the Hogue myself.