Howa 308 for working man's precision carbine

Rob96

I am looking for a little feedback from anyone who may have exeprience with this. Basically I would like to do up a working mans precision carbine. Right now I am looking at the Howa 1500 Heavy Barrel .308 with Hogue OM stock. How are these rifles as far as accuracy and durability? How's the quality as of late?

N.H. Yankee

Howa used to make the Weatherby Vanguard, not sure what Howa;s involvement is today. Myself and a friend both bought Howa 30-06's and I had a Vanguard 30-06. At the time I didn't know my Vanguard was a Howa so I ended up with 2. All I can say is 3 shots covered by a dime at 100 yards consistantly is hard to complain about. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Howa and the quality for the price is hard to beat.

jmr40

I think the Howa would be fine. Have considered doing the same thing myself. Do check out the Weatherby Vanguard, they are the same action and the Weatherby actually sells for a little less and comes with a longer 24" barrel. Both sell for between $390 and $450 depending on where you look.

For a little more the Vanguard Sub MOA comes with a much better stock and is guaranteed to shoot sub MOA. This would save you from replacing the flimsey stock that comes on the Howa or standard Vanguard. The price difference is much less than buying the cheaper gun and then upgrading the stock later.

triman5

Top Notch

I have one. It is very accurate, even in the hands of a new shooter. I put the .308 varmint barreled action in a Bell and Carlson medalist with the aluminum bedding blocks. It's a shooter and requires no additional bedding.

I am not a reloader and was disappointed at first with an inexpensive Magtech 150 g. round that shot poorly. But I have since tried several others and they all shoot sub MOA. The (Federal I believe) Fusion round was the most accurate.

For a new $500 rifle, it can't be beat. Japanese engineering for mass produced items in unbeatable.

I have the same varmint barreled action in .243 on a Boyd's beavertail thumbhole and it is even more accurate than the .308.

Rob96

Too bad there are none to be found. I am actually going to be placing an order for the Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine. 20" Heavy Barrel, Accu-Trigger and the new Accu-Stock. A very nice rifle indeed.

jpwilly

Cabelas has a special for the 4th of July and I picked one up:

SavageTactical308.jpg

DSCN0115.jpg

Some groups from break in:

Targets168gr44grVarget.jpg