Howa 1500 vs. Stevens 200

oldcars

I have a friend who just offered me a Howa 1500 in .223 for what I think is a good price($350). I already have a Stevens 200 in .223 that shoots well, but I like the drop down floorplate, and metal trigger gaurd of the Howa better. What are your oppinions of these rifles? How hard is it to adjust the trigger on a Howa 1500? I would sell the Stevens if I bought the Howa. He wants to sell it soon so I need some help!! They both have a low round count and are in good shape.

PTS1

I have no experince with the Stevens but I do with the Howa...great rifle! Trigger is very easy to adjust and comes with instructions on how to do it. I think $350 is a little high for a used Howa, unless it is stainless. You can get a new blued one for $350 if you shop around. Very acurate right out of the box. Hope this helps.

RevolverLover

What model Howa 1500 in .223 is it? It's hard to say if $350 is a good price without knowing the which model. I have a bull-barrel one in .223 and it is very accurate and has taken various game.

RobertRogers

I bought a used Howa for 300 or 320, can't remember which. It was an excellent purchase but I traded up for my current favorite!

castnblast

Buy a brand new one. I have one in 22-250. Love it. I get 3/8-5/8" groups w/ my 50 gr. reloads. The newer models have 3 position safety, and the trigger is very easy to adust. I have mine set at 2.75lbs. no creep, real crisp. I like the bottom drop plate too. It has a 5+1 capacity which I also like.

Red_Eagle

What are the twist rates on each? That would be my ctiteria. I have a 700 SPS that has a 1/12. If a ran acrossed a bolt action with a 1/9 or 1/8 I'd have to really think about it.

oldcars

I bought the Howa today for $300 with scope mounts&rings and about 200 rounds of ammo. My friend said it has less than 200 rounds fired and all mild reloads. My next step is to order a wood stock and get rid of the black plastic! I guess my Stevens will be up for sale.