Howa 1500, .308 SS...?

hooligan1

I found a pawnshop rifle, got some hunting wear, bores is decent, synthetic, fella is asking 499.00......if its in 85% what would be a realistic offer I could give him?

jaysouth

For a couple of bucks extra, you can get a Weatherby Vanguard S-2 (howa action) with adjustable trigger and MOA accuracy guarantee.

I would pass on this unless he would let it go for $350. But I would probably pass on that because you can get the S2 for less than it would take to bed the Howa action and install a new trigger.

Buy the S-2 on line from Buds and save the sales tax.

20" carbine: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_136/products_id/78949

The 24" rifle will be back in stock soon.

jmr40

For around $350 you can buy a Ruger American. It is almost 2 lbs lighter and will out shoot the Howa. The SS Rugers should be out soon. Will be interesting to see the street price.

jaysouth

I handled a Ruger American Carbine in a gun shop the other day. It was in .308 and tagged $359. It looked to me to be the ultimate deer rifle. My only objection to the Ruger American in .308 is the 1"10" barrel.

I shoot a lot of cast bullets and the Vanguard S-2 has a 24" 1:12" barrel, ideal for cast bullets.

The only objection I can find to the Ruger is the expensive detachable magazine. Maybe it's OK and will withstand the test of time, but to an old guy, it is just one more thing to go wrong. KISS.

hooligan1

I dont want to give any bucks extra, and I dont want a Ruger.

I think I can haggle this guy down but I want a realistic value on this rifle.

Mobuck

With that amount of wear, I wouldn't offer more than $325-350 for the bare rifle. Those cost less than $400 new wholesale at various times in the past.

hooligan1

Mobuck I thin your closer to my thoughts, and I know I can haggle plenty with the fella.
He also has a Savage 111 with accutrigger, 3006, thumbhole stock of some make....
He wants 399.00 for that rifle which is in good condition.
I thought to haggle him down to 650.00 for both..which I could use to rebuild collection a little..

Cowboy_mo

It is in a Pawn Shop. Take the asking price and cut it by half and you will be pretty close to what the guy has in it max.

Make your offers go from there. So, assuming the pawn broker probably has $250 in it, I would offer $300 and go from there.

Gee, doesn't anybody watch Pawn Stars?????? :rolleyes::D

handlerer2

The price you quoted is excessive, IMO. I paid $379 for a Vanguard, 300 WBY in 2007. There are bound to be better deals in the want ads or other pawn shops.

As far as a Ruger American being in any way superior to a Howa/Vanguard is preposterous, again IMO. I'm a fan of Ruger firearms. I have owned many and currently own two Ruger rifles and a Ruger pistol, but have absolutely no desire to own a Ruger American.

I own Weatherby MKV, Vanguard, Cooper MDL 22, Ruger MDL 77, A mini 14, and an old Interarms MKX. Noted any similarities? None have receivers drilled from bar stock, fused alloyed bolts, or washered recoil lugs.

I'm not bashing rifles that use these methods to reduce costs, I hear they are quite serviceable and can be accurate as well. They have just cut to many corners to suit my tastes.

The Howa/Vanguard machines it's receiver from a solid forged billet. The bolt is machined from a solid forged billet as well, handle and all, and has a machined integral recoil lug.

All the rifles I own, except the Mini-14, are easily under inch at 100yds and the Cooper goes under .25", five shot group, if I'm having a good day. The reviews I have read on the Ruger American, Gun Blast, The Truth About Guns, ect., have been quite ambivalent about the Ruger Americans accuracy. Certainly suitable for hunting, but nothing to boast about.

Not saying that they aren't worth the price. I'm sure they are fine entry level rifles. They just can't compare in quality or solidity with the Howa or Ruger 77's.

Bart B.

I think most rifles with a detachable magazines will shoot as accurate as the same thing but with an internal box magazine. The magazine on one of them fits exactly the same for each shot as well as each reload. Not so with the other.

Most accurate detachable magazine fed rifles used in competition had a matched set of 3 for rapid fire matches when a reload was required. And the same one was used in all slow fire events. These were selected from several as they all let the rifle keep the same zero with each. 'Course those rifles shot about 1/2 MOA at 300 yards and the differences between magazines was easy to see.

Exceptions; high dollar tube guns with magazines supplied by their makers.

dgludwig

The price you quoted is excessive, IMO. I paid $379 for a Vanguard, 300 WBY in 2007.

I also think the quoted price is excessive, especially for a used gun. I paid $299.99 for a brand new Weatherby (Howa) Vanguard, chambered in .257 Weatherby Magnum, from my lgs. Of course, that was several years ago (2011) and it isn't the updated "S-2" action/barrel.
I'm guessing that a little looking around should scare up a "new and improved" Vanguard for the same kind of money your pawn shop is asking for a used one.

Duzell

as someone who owns a 1500 howa gameking id say the price is fair for that model. my GK was 610$ out of box and it has the match trigger, rubber stock, and GK nikko sterling scope, priced at 150$

so 300-450$ for a in good condition is a fair asking price for that model truthfully.

but if you can get it cheaper ;) do it!