How would you recognize a Korean War 1911?

Garand Illusion

So a friend was showing me a 1911 that he says his uncle bought from/stole from the US army during the Korean War. He carried it in the conflict and brought it home with him in some manner.

It looks like it's stamped with army information, and it certainly looks like it's been roughly handled for a few decades (in fact, although fully functional, it looks like it was dragged behind a truck).

The grip is checkered wood with US stamped on each side. Finish looks like it was never very smooth.

I don't plan on challenging my friend on his story, but for my own info how could I see if this is the real thing the next time I get to look at it?

Lurch37

The serial number should give you an idea of when it was made for starters. Also it should have United States Government stamped on the frame. If the finish looks rough as you say, it could be an arsenal rebuild. The grips don't sound like they are original.

lafd04

Most likely it'll be a ww2 gun and prob rebuilt at some point. my great uncle was a part time Armorer in his mp company during korea and he said that most were rebuilt guns with some ww1 and new ones thrown in along the way

Tom2

I would think that once it was rebuilt it has no easily traceable history, like parts mixed etc. Any time from WW2 till the 80's. I thought that they used those brown plastic grips from WW2 onwards though. Used to see piles of takeoffs at gunshows a few years ago. Had an excellent set and wish I kept them. Most are worn near smooth. Wood might be correct for a WW1 or maybe even pre WW2 gun but I don't recall them having a US stamp on them? Those SA GI style guns do though. ONce the guns have the parts mixed you cannot tell if it was done by an arsenal or someone assembling a pile of surplus parts.