How would one get a gun parkerized?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I might be getting a revolver which looks like someone used it for a hoe. The internals are smooth nd the gun is accurate but bluing is mostly gone, and grips are raggedy.

I have not decided if I would restore it yet. It might be a nice gun for winning bets ("I bet your UberHandCannon can't outshoot this junk pile special")...but I am concerned about rust.

Where around Nashville could I get it parkerized green (or apply some sort of protective finish...other than chrome or nickel)? I'd rather not mail it off. Also, can parkerizing cause problems from bits of material getting where it shouldn't and changing the fit of parts?

I would recommend a spray and bake Teflon finish instead. You can do that yourself and all you're buying is some prep chemicals, a small sandblaster (25 bucks at your local hardware store), and a can of spray paint from Brownells. I believe they're offering it in green now too.

Good luck.

riverdog

At that price, just reblue it from a bottle of 44/40. Warm the gun a bit and go for it. I'm getting a real nice M-19 soon and it will probably get the BC treatment, but other than it's finish, it is a nice revolver.

Any gunsmith who works on Garands can probably get it parkerized though. That's the only proper finish for a Garand.

Oleg, if you can get your hands on a sandblaster, you can do it yourself. I think we have instructions on how to disassemble a revolver somewhere and if you can't find it, ask George, Harley or me for it. There's also an old thread where I discuss how to parkerize a gun at home. It's really easy and you can do it for half the cost of farming it out.

shermdo

Why would you want to do so?

Just because Uncle Sam liked that finish doesn't mean that it was/is any good. I would suggest that there are several options better than parkerization for your handgun. There have been several article in the last year in the various periodicals regarding finish. Do a little research. You'll probably enjoy that and you'll find a much better option.

Chief Jones

Oleg,

I have a friend who owns a shop between Nashville & Clarksville. Does what he calls a "Hunter Matte" finish. Bead-blasts & dark finish. Very reasonable. He's done several weapons for me. If you want the info on him, let me know.

Woody

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Chief Jones, that sounds perfect, esp. since I make regular trips in that direction. Please email me his contact info, prices.