How well does the Kahr T9 work?

nc-oldfart

I have a TP40 that I do have some reloads loaded down to 9mm levels with 155gr at 1010fps for just plink'n and a couple 9mm poly pistols . I have swapped pistols at the range with a owner of a T9 . Best I can tell you is it has very soft recoil impulse cycle with the extra weight of the all stainless steel model . For me its an easy to shoot pistol. It has the same smooth no stack double action trigger and had the same wolff RP stricker spring in it so the trigger pull felt the same to me. The thicker grip does offer a nice fuller feel in the hand compared to the thinner TP.

BUT , I hate wood grips !! Does not matter than brand or design. Just my handgun up. I would rather have a black rubber grip on it. Hogue makes the wood and rubber grips for kahr but after market is zero.

If you have a 1911 now the T9 may fit any commander sized holster you have now.

All I can tell you is with a new clean kahr is to run it wet for a couple hundred rounds with a better class of practice ammo. After a couple hundred rounds to soft it up kahrs tend to shoot what ever junk there feed. A small percentage of pistols have had the feed ramp break the front off the follower after the last round is fired. kahr will fix it if it happens . Clearences set a little to tight . Not a big deal for most of use. Not sure that happens with the all metal pistols. Mine have never had any down time. Some mags have had the spring installed backwards too. Check during cleaning when new. That's about it for possible problems . The stainless steel pistols seem to run fine.

I have cm9 ,cw9 , well daughter just claimed it as hers, and tp40 with many thousands of rounds fired with zero issues and all hand rack just fine but the recoil springs are heavier than most people are use to and need a good firm pull and clean release, if that's what your use to doing. No riding the slide. Once you figure it out hand racking is not a problem. I CC my TP40, same size as the T9 and can carry front side set high and canted to the rear at 2:10 position. Great carry pistol and IF kahr was to ever make a T45 I would have to own it.

If your a SA/DA revolver shooter or the average well rounded shooter you will take to the trigger with only range time. It would seem if your a newbe striker fired shooter with a close mind to anything different you will hate it. HA . Its typicaly not as accurate as say a les baer 4" or Wilson 1911 but its atleast as good as most better class of 4" barreled pistols in the hands of a good shooter.

Not many upgrades or extra's avalible or needed. Stricker spring is about all that's replaced by many and dawson precision has any sight upgrades wanted.

Great thin carry pistols . Should be able to pick up a T series for mid 600 dollars.

That's the best I can do to tell you about kahrs.

PSP

The Kahr T9 is a nice pistol, however it is not all that different than a K9 if shooting side by side. The main difference, other than size, is that a T9 takes-down like a polymer model, and not like the more difficult K9. The grip is long enough to fit even the largest hands, but as mentioned, the only panels available are wood. Kahr has never offered the soft polymer grips for the T series.

IMHO, the TP9 is as nice, if not nicer, than the all steel T9. Though much lighter, the TP handles recoil just as well as the T. With a grip sleeve the TP feels really good in the hand. I prefer the TP, and it's cheaper to buy.

Both are nice guns. I've never had a problem with either.

Deaf Smith

Oh well, I dropped by one of the pawn shops I haunt, right after spending $600 bucks on new tires for the car.

Kahr K9, ARxxxx serial number (2001 it was made in.)

$423, tax included. No spare mag but the grips screws have no bung marks (so no one messed with it.) It looks fine. No scratches either.

100 rounds of FMJ reloads. 124 gr. Hornady slugs with Unique powder. No where near a max load and it's my favorite for my Glock 26.

Shot dead on at 7 yards. One ragged hole. 20 yard groups inside IPSC Milpark head. Yes head shots.

Shot right handed, shot left handed, shot two handed. No jams, no malfunctions, no nothing. Loaded all 7 + chamber. Side stop worked perfect, even one handed with limp wrist.

Well I am shocked.....

Fly in the ointment. That trigger is LIGHT. Way lighter than my Glock 26 with NY-1 and 3.5 connector. I'm used to 8 lb triggers and this ain't no 8 pounder!

Any holster I get will cover the trigger for sure! And when drawing, one must KYFFOTFT or else.

All and all, a very good gun. Now for wood grips, spare mag, and a kydex IWB holster.

Deaf

Jeff22

Kahr T9

I would agree with this observation: "Best I can tell you is it has very soft recoil impulse cycle with the extra weight of the all stainless steel model . For me its an easy to shoot pistol. It has the same smooth no stack double action trigger and had the same wolff RP stricker spring in it so the trigger pull felt the same to me. The thicker grip does offer a nice fuller feel in the hand compared to the thinner TP."

I just picked up a slightly used T9 from a friend. I already had a P9 and K9. I shot the T9 for the first time last night and found it to be a delight to shoot. :cool:

Elerius

I have a Kahr K9 and a PM9. Bear in mind that if your K9 was made in 2001, it has the older slide design and different dovetail cuts. None of the new sights available will fit unless they specifically say they are for the old style (last I checked XS sights still sold old style.)

I love Kahrs, they and Ruger are my two favorite companies and I'm looking forward to a T40 myself in the future