How to's on Stock Refinishing??

I already did a search and most info was about old military rifles.

I always overlook the shiny Brownings--Remingtons--Weatherbys etc.-- because I can't stand the looks of the shiny stocks.

I've found a rifle I really like except for the finish on the stock.

How would I go about stripping a brand new shiny Browning stock and give it a more subdued classic look?---sort of like a Red Label or Number 1.

What products would I need?? And what about protecting the checkering??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OBG

Last edited by a moderator:

2minkey

well, first thing is i'd NEVER (!) sand the finish off. use a chemical paint stripper that says it won't detroy wood. only sand the tiny remainder off after you use the stripper.

the thing is, you don't want to ruin any contours by sanding through them, hence the stripper to remove the heavy stuff. i have made this mistake before... dummy me.

http://www.flash.net/~guitars/ReRanch101.html

scroll down a ways on the linked page - there is a section on stripping and preparing wood.

all of my knowledge in this area comes from refinishing guitars, but i'd think there are some essential similarities. i just doubt you'd go as far applying the new finish (e.g. no 27 hand rubbed coats and meticulously 0000 steel-wooled laquer, etc....)

hope this helps.

Rocklobster

Paint it with a good thick coating of paint stripper-let it sit over night.Stick it into a bucket of water,rub it down good with some single-0 steel wool,using the water liberally.You may need to hit it again with the stripper and rubdown,probably not.

Let it dry thoroughly-preferably in a cabinet or locker with a light bulb in it.

Sand with fine (150-220 grit) paper on the non-checkered areas-use 0000 steel wool on the checkering.

Choose your stain- Brownells has a great selection-I like the military stains,but whatever turns you on.When you have the color you want,let it dry overnight,then rub about 4 coats (give or take) of Tung oil on it.Gives a nice satin,but not shiney,finish.

The more time,patience,and TLC you put into it,the better it'll look.

Khornet

Monty Kennedy

in his excellent book 'Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks', available from Brownells, has a very good section on stock finishing. That's where I learned it.