How to thread semi-auto barrel for a suppressor?

ScottRiqui

I know the preferable method is to find a barrel that sticks out past the end of the slide, and cut threads into the outer surface of the barrel, but for pistols where the aftermarket selection is non-existent, is it acceptable to drill out the last 3/4" or so of the barrel and thread the inside of the newly-cut surface to accept the adapter?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I'm no expert, but I believe that preferred method would still be to thread the outside of the barrel and use female-male adapter fit perfectly flush with the barrel inside the slide, with the male end projecting out for the supressor.

Charles S

I certainly am no expert, but agree an outside thread is preferable. There are specialty gun smiths that offer the solution to your problem, but I personally cannot recommend any as I have no personal experience.

While the experience on this board is amazing and I am constantly reading on this board and learning, this may be a case where a specialty board can offer more. Take a look at Silencer Talk.

I was recently looking to thread a 10/22 and preserve the front site. I found the smith I needed on Silencer talk. Although, the Firing Line never ceases to amaze me with the depth of knowledge and experience. I will however also warn you that many choose to only interject their (hopefully) experience and will never directly answer your question. As I just did in the above post :D

rjrivero

Always outside the barrel. Depending on the firearm, you may or may NOT have enough thickness on the barrel to thread for an adapter.

FWIW, Adco does most 9mm's but not enough meat on the bone for .40's and .45's.

LINK HERE. See the bottom of the page.

Strafer Gott

Buy a barrel. Barsto or somebody custom. If that can't be done, that firearm isn't suitable. There are plenty off the shelf for Sig. Make it easy on yourself!

kilimanjaro

The outside of the barrel is what works. Also, have a threaded muzzle cap made to put on the threads when the silencer is not in use, like the Swedish Mausers have.