How to store a 1911

AAChang

The hammer on my 1911 can be in 3 positions. Hammer down, quarter cocked, or fully cocked. Does any of these positions have adverse effects on the weapon? Does leaving the weapon locked and cocked too much cause problems? Does the quarter cocked cause undue stress for the weapon? Does leaving it hammer down compress the firing pin return spring? I'm relatively new to all the ins and outs of the 1911. thanks in advance

blades67

If you are storing the gun in an unloaded condition for long periods of time, leaving the hammer down is fine, and it doesn't compress the firing pin spring. Leaving the gun cocked and locked for long term storage isn't a good idea, but generally speaking there's nothing wrong with having the gun cocked and locked as that is the way most 1911 owners carry theirs. Just read the instruction manual that comes with the gun and follow the manufacturers guidelines.

Jim V

The 1/4 cocked position is a safety designed to catch the hammer of the full cock hooks fail. Mike Hammer aside, it is not a carry position.

There is little or no pressure applied to the FP spring when the hammer is down all the way. The main or hammer spring is over built so keeping the pistol cocked will not degrade that spring to any great amount. I don't ever remember changing a main spring because one got weak.