How to stop Magazine rattle in 1911

wolfz

I have some new and used Chip M. magazines that have started to rattle in mt Springfield. Is there an easy fix so I don't lose the use of these magazines?:confused:

Gewehr98

Well, now...

That about takes the constructive reply award, doesn't it?:barf:

Wolfz, are those magazines still seating well in your pistol? Brownell's sells a magazine mouth and feed lip template that allows you to reshape the top end of your magazines to factory spec, as one option.

BigG

Is it the rounds that are rattling in the mag? I assume you are using factory ball ammo? If it is a double stack mag sometimes loading it with one less than maximum will stop the rattle. Try removing one round even if it's a single stack and see if the rattle stops.

You really need to be more specific as to the model, caliber, etc. Is is single stack 45? Have you done mods to the gun? These things all can have an effect.

James K

Member In Memoriam
If they work OK, I wouldn't worry about it. If they don't, toss them and try another brand. It sounds like they are a bit small, but unless they drop out or the catch does not engage, there should be no problem.

If the rattle really bothers you, try this. (There is a risk of damage to the magazine, so be warned. ) Using a vise with padded jaws, insert the magazine between the jaws flat ways, that is with the side of the magazine up. The bottom lip will be outside the jaws. Then close the vise, squeezing the mag until it bulges slightly. If the mag is not damaged, that should fix the rattle and let the mag release engage better to boot.

Jim