How to shoot a pistol grip shotgun?

gac009

A friend of mine has a pistol grip shotgun the he recently purchased for home defence. I advised him not too, but it was his choice. Because things in his neighborhood have gotten particulary hairy these past couple of weeks he want me to take him to the range so he can develop some familiarity with it.

I know nothing about how to properly shoot a pistol grip shotgun. Dose anyone have any advice on how to properly hold and fire a pistol grip only shotgun or know where I could find information on how to do so? If you know anything at all about firing such a weapon or know where I could look for information it would be greatly appreciated. This is important to me as it is for my friends safety.

A polite request about your post:

Please do not post only to tell me the time you shot a pistol grip and your hurt your hand/face, that dose not help me. Please do not post that just to say that he should get a shoulder stock for his shotgun as this is beyond both of our control. All we can do is try to help him accurately fire the platform he has chosen.

Once again if all you have to add is that it hurts your hand or that a full shoulder stock is better PLEASE DO NOT POST. I understand that a pistol grip shotgun is a difficult format but I need information on technique anyways.

Thanks!

GAC009

Hkmp5sd

The best one I shot had a vertical forgrip in addition to the pistol grip. By pushing hard on the foregrip and pulling on the pistol grip (kinda like shooting a bow), I could somewhat control the shotgun.

Desert01

Clutch the grip in close to the chest, makes sure you have your wrist locked in. Get a good grip on the forearm pressing/pulling down and it. Next lean forward into the gun.

I wouldn't recommend any 3" rounds or slugs. If you can get the 2 3/4 low recoil buckshot use it.

It's not much fun, but hey soldiers are using them every day in Iraq and Afganistan without a stock.

nhill0408

That breachers grip looks awesome. When I finally get around to building a HD shotty that's the first thing on the list.

FS2K

Pistol Grip Shotguns

Aren't as bad as they look. Oddly enough the recoil seems to get taken up allot better than if the shotgun were to be fired from the shouldered position. The Push/Pull theory Hkmp5sd suggested works best if the weapon is raised up to the normal firing position (like it had a stock and sighting down the barrel) and works even better with a sling, but if "Shot from the Hip" recoil isn't that much of a big deal. Aiming from the hip takes a little getting used to, but you'll get it in no time with a little practice.

Getting back to the (felt) recoil seeming milder with a pistol grip, when shouldered the force of the recoil is concentrated back into the shooters shoulder. The weapon is wedged tightlyand so the energy is forced straight back. But with a pistol gripped shotguns the force is absorbed into the hands, forarms, biceps, shoulders etc because it isn't held tightly....hope that made sense.

Desert01

Hopefully the Knoxx Breachers grip has improved. We did a T&E on them about 18 months ago. The grip seperated under recoil during a breach. Nice product, but...

It happened to be in front of Representatives from the Infantry School, PM Individual Weapons, and a TACOM rep.

Talk about bad timing. The grip had been used for a lot of training prior with no issues. We, have not had any issue with the standard issue pistol grips, but have had a couple of other aftermarket grips break. This is a real problem in the winter time when the troops may be doing breaches in 20- weather. Last week they were wearing trigger finger mittens, parkas, ect. No complaints.

I guess I should reprase also I'm retired now, so the statement should be they not we.

JR47

Pachmayr makes a Vindicator Grip kit. It uses a soft rubber grip and fore-end that cushions the weapon some.

Use the 2 3/4" Reduced Recoil loads mentioned, and make sure that your grip allows the weapon to recoil without hitting your body.

Shooting from the hip requires practice, make sure that he gets it.:)

SR420

How to shoot a non-pistol grip shotgun?

All of the shotguns that I have fired and own have pistol grips.
How would shooting a traditional shotgun be different?

Guy B. Meredith

The pistol grips in this case are sans shoulder mount section, i.e., pistol grip only. Puts your eye painfully close to things if you shoot from the shoulder.

Of course there are traditional shotguns without the pistol grip, just straight stock and they are fired the same way you would your "modern" stock with grip.

Smokin Joe

well GACCOO9,

did you see the video ? it showed several methods to shoot that pistol grip..

like a pistol with one hand,

down by your waist (hip)

higher at bicep level...

I like it. did you like it ?

gac009

Yes I did see the video. Thanks guys I have fowarded most of this information to my friend. He is going to take some time this week to pratice tecnique and we are going to go to the range this weekend. Ill keep you guys updated on how it goes.

Thanks!

Semblance

Honestly, the only way to shoot a pistol grip shotgun is going to be from the hip or slightly above. There's not really going to be much aiming going on. I would recommend getting a standard stock for it, you can still fire it from the hip, and gain the versatility of being able to fire from the shoulder. Sure, you gain 3-4 inches of stock, but is it really that big of a deal?

Also, shoot a few 3" magnum rounds out of it for fun. I actually found the recoil was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.