How to ship to a gunsmith

Jeryray

How can you safely ship a gun for repair?

I am in NYC where ANY excuse will allow them to cancel your permit.
Like losing a gun in shipment.

How do you guys do it and what carriers can I use?

I have daily fedex ground and air pick up.

Dfariswheel

Long gun or pistol??

ONLY a FFL Dealer can MAIL a pistol through the US Post Office, but you can mail a long gun direct to a FFL licensed gunsmith.
This is the cheapest way and as long as you ship it Registered Mail and fully insured it's very safe.

If you're shipping a pistol yourself you can only use UPS and Fed-Ex.
Both companies have rules that you must ship the fastest (and most expensive) way.
This is so a gun is in their system as short a time as possible, so their workers won't steal it.
I think they'll ship long guns a little cheaper.

As long as you obey the Federal laws on shipping, you "should" be safe, given that you live in New York.
If you're worried about it, have it shipped by a FFL Dealer.
They can ship cheaper, but may scalp you on their fee for doing so.

AirForceShooter

In NYC the easiest and cheapest will be having your FFL ship it for you.

That also keeps a trail of custody.

It can be shipped back directly to you

AFS

KEYBEAR

Years ago I Sent a single Barrel Trap Gun out for work. I used U.P.S. after a day or two I seen the gun had not moved (by tracking) The gun had been stolen At the first U.P.S. terminal . It took four weeks and a bunch of phone calling to get the money out of U.P.S.

lamarw

You mentioned a gunsmith. I assume it is not back to a manufacturer. I know Remington and Sig Sauer will send or email you a shipping label. Then you can attach it to the package and drop it off, and I have done so at a "Goin Postal" place.

It can be shipped back to you at your home address where an adult will have to be available to sign for the returned package containing the serviced firearm.