How to ship ammo from one member to another???

std7mag

So I found some ammo for another TFL member. Stuff is hard to find, and I ran across it at a flea market. :)

Now I just need to figure how to ship a box of 20 bottle neck rifle cartridges to him.

I'm assuming ammo is considered a hazmat item... :D

FoghornLeghorn

I sold some ammo with a rifle once. I had to ship them separately. I couldn't ship the ammo via USPS, so I used a Fedex distribution center. (Note, you can't use a fedex depot at Kinkos, for example.)

And since I had to use something other than the USPS for the ammo, I went ahead and shipped the rifle there too.

(And someone please kick my butt for selling that rifle. Pristine stainless Ruger Ranch Mini 30 with Leupold 2-7 scope.)

I'm not a FFL, btw. So it was all cool. Only, when I told the lady that the second carton contained ammo, she was like it was going to explode. Or puke on her. Or something.

Snyper

Mark it ORD-M with a box around it
Close, but no cigar:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORM-D

ORM-D
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ORM-D is a marking for mail or shipping in the United States that identifies other regulated materials for domestic transport only. Packages bearing this mark contain hazardous material in a limited quantity that presents a limited hazard during transportation, due to its form, quantity, and packaging.
Consumer commodity is a hazardous material that is packaged and distributed in a quantity and form intended or suitable for retail sale and designed for consumption by individuals for their personal care or household use purposes. This term can also include certain drugs or medicines.
File:ORM-D.png

44 AMP

Staff
If you dig around deeply enough in CFR 1910.120, you can find where certain quantities of ammunition are allowable for air shipment under the regs. Shippers tend to force you to ship ground (meaning they won't ship it air, not that its not legal), to avoid all possible issues and costs if they happen to violate the letter of the regs.

interestingly enough while a certain amount of loaded ammo is allowed by the regs, NO amount of blank ammo is allowed to go by air. (note, this info was accurate at one time, but may no longer be correct. They do change the regs from time to time. Always to make us safer, of course...

Ship it freight by truck, labeled per the shippers direction, you won't have any trouble, other than maybe sticker shock.