How to ship a pistol?

Bigfatts

I am selling a pistol on Gunbroker and need to know how to go about shipping it out to the receiving FFL. Can I ship it myself or does it have to go out of an FFL? I'm pretty sure it has to be overnighted right? Do I have to declare it as a firearm? And since it is a handgun it cannot go through USPS. Any help appreciated.

It's perfectly legal for you to ship the gun to the FFL, but you need to make sure that the FFL will accept a shipment from a non-FFL. You do need to declare that it's a firearm.

TonyM1

You'll need to use FedEx or UPS, although when I last read the UPS firearms shipping policies it stated that you had to disclose to them that a handgun is being shipped. I found prices fairly even between the two, so I picked FedEx for the ease of shipping; you can go to their website and register for a free account, then print shipping label, arrange for a package pickup and just hand it to the driver when he shows up. Yes, they only allow next day shipping for firearms. DHL does not ship firearms. It's been a few months since I read each companies policies, so you may want to read yourself before shipping to make sure you are following the proper procedures. You must also get a copy of the receiving ffl's license before you can ship it to them.

blume357

I've never done it, shipped. have only received...but

I would find out what your local FFL will charge to ship. It would be nice to know the cost of shipping before you start the selling of the gun. Your local FFL can and probably will ship it U.S. postal or they (I think) can ship it UPS a lot cheaper than you... and the buyers FFL will not have as much concern.

What are you selling... I may be down in Lutz (FL?) next month.

BerettaCougar

This question can probably be answered with more acuracy by a local FFL, try calling three or four of them, the answer that is repeated a few times is more than likely the right one.;)

Bigfatts

Good ideas Blume and BC. I'll have to go visit my friends at the gunshop. Better bust out the credit card, I now have to replace what I am selling. Sorry Blume, I already have a buyer:D .