How to send a copy of my C&R app to CLEO

BeerSleeper

I'm working on my C&R application. I have the forms filled out. I have one question, about the need to send a copy to the local CLEO. Do I need to send that by any sort of registered/signature required mail? If not, what proof do I need that I've provided him this info?

I ask for two reasons. One being (maybe I'm paranoid here) for anything that deals with the ATF, I want all my t's crossed, i's dotted, and to retain proof that said t's and i's were dotted/crossed. I don't want to end up on the wrong side of anything to do with the ATF. The second reason, being I live in a small town, I know the chief, and I could just hand it to him in person, but this leaves me no proof.

Avenger

Send it to the mailing address listed in the telephone book and write that address on the application form...that's all you need to do. You don't need registered mail or anything like that. The CLEO doesn't need to approve it or even KEEP the thing, and probably will simply throw it away.

Cheapshooter

I know the chief, and I could just hand it to him in person, but this leaves me no proof.

That would be fine. The only requirement is that you give the CLEO a copy, and sign the form certifying that you did. No record required.
As Avenger said, it is then up to them what to do with it. If in some case the CLEO has reason for a person being denied, it's up to him to let BATF know.
The important part is that all the "t"s are crossed, and "i"s doted on what YOU send to the BATF.

BeerSleeper

I'll probably just drop it off in person then. I don't know the chief personally, but this will give me an opportunity, and a conversation starter.

Cheapshooter

Being a small town, he might not understand what it is for. Take the entire application and instructions with you to explain.

jonnyc

I wouldn't try to explain too much. You are required to inform them that the application has been made. I wouldn't try to go far beyond that.

BeerSleeper

I'm not 100% certain I fully understand what it is for. My primary motivation is to get the dealer discounts at places like midway or grafs.

Hardcase

I tried to give mine to the Chief here in town, but nobody (including the Chief) knew what to do with it. They ended up telling me to take it to the sheriff. The concealed weapons clerk knew exactly what it was for and was happy to take it off my hands. She ran my name through the computer, then round filed it. :p

TX Hunter

I took mine in to the Justice of the Peace office, they filled out there part, kept the copy and wished me good luck with my firearms collecting.
I love living in Texas:D

Don H

I took mine in to the Justice of the Peace office, they filled out there part, kept the copy and wished me good luck with my firearms collecting.
There's nothing on the form for a CLEO to fill out. :confused:

BeerSleeper

He probably meant name and address, which doesn't have to be filled out BY the CLEO, but if you didn't know that info already, and were planning to drop it off in person, it would make sense to finish that part there.

SwampYankee

I sent a copy of mine to the State Police. They sent it back to me and said they didn't want it. So I sent it to the local Police Chief and never heard boo. I got the C&R a month later.

stickhauler

I'm not 100% certain I fully understand what it is for. My primary motivation is to get the dealer discounts at places like midway or grafs.

It's all about that inter-department cooperation deal, the BATFE believes your local law enforcement department has a need to know you plan to posses a collectors license, and informing them of your intention gives them a chance to object if they feel a need to do so. Of all the people I know with a C & R license, I've yet to hear of any who did object.

Hkmp5sd

I always send mine via US Mail to the county Sheriff with the notation "ATTN: C&R FFL RENEWAL NOTICE" on the outside of the envelope. It lets them throw it in the garbage without bothering to open.

TX Hunter

Don H,

At our JP-s Office the JP filled out the part with the address for our police station, and the name of our justice of the peace.
It made sense and they were required to have a copy of it, so I gave it to them in person. They were alot of help.

Cheapshooter

A friend was all nervous about how to get the "approval" of the CLEO in his county for getting a C&R license. I told him, and had him read question 4 on tha back of the form. He still insisted he had to personally take the copy of the form to the local precinct office. There, he was told by some genius that I don't even think was a cop but rather a clerk that he had to have finger prints, and an FBI background check before they could even consider his request. He told me that, so I brought over an envelope addressed to the Office of the Chief of Police, put the copy of the application in it, and mailed it. After a few weeks of asking me if I was sure we did the right thing he got his C&R License.
Point of the story. It's only a big deal if you make it one!