How to reset zero on Vortex scope?

CC268

Hey guys I am just curious as to how to get a Vortex Diamondback back to factory spec/zero after the dials have been moved (haven't move them at all yet, just curious). There is nothing in the instructions on how to do this. It does show you how to simply unscrew the screw on top of the turret and lift the dial up and put it back to zero, but this doesn't physically move the reticle itself.

WeedWacker

I personally wouldn't worry about it. Why would you need to return to "factory zero?" Just mount and bore sight, no need to reset anything.

In any case, dial all the way one direction until the turret won't move. Then count the clicks in the other direction and divide by 2, then move that many clicks back.

Picher

One way to do it is to set the scope in loose rings on a rifle in a vise. Turn the scope to it's normal position. Sight a point on a sighting-in target or other point and turn the scope 180 degrees. Turn the horizontal adjustment until the crosshairs are half-way to the original sighting point. Do the same with the Vertical adjustment.

Turn the scope to see if the reticle is centered; if not, make further half-way adjustments until it is.

jmr40

If you are mounting the scope in windage adjustable mounts it is best to get everything centered first. No reason to do it otherwise.

Start with the windage adjustment. Move it as far as it will go left. Move it as far to the right as possible counting clicks. Divide by 2, then move it back to the left that many clicks. You are now centered for windage. Repeat for elevation.

With Windage adjustable mounts you then bore sight the rifle using the adjustments on the mounts to get things as close as possible. You use the scope adjustments to fine tune after you secure the mounts.

With any other mounting system there is no reason to do this.

CC268

Thanks for the help guys. Not sure what exactly my mount is...just the stock Tikka mount and rings.

Leupold single piece mounts are the only ones I know of off have that have windage adjustment. It's easy to tell, look where your scope rings meet the base, if there's a screw on both sides of the rear ring base it has windage adjustment.

I wouldn't worry about resetting the zero on the scope either. With no windage adjustment on the scope base there's no real reason to. Just bore-sight, finesse on paper, and confirm at range. When you get your zero set you can pull the caps and reset them to zero and call it good.

ridurall

Now I have a Zero stop and high speed turret that I recently had installed in my Nightforce 8-32X56 NXS scope on my 50 BMG. If your thinking about something like that I don't believe it's available on the Vortex scope. The reason for it is to be able to return the scope to zero when your using a ballistic program like one you would put on your cell phone. I became Intriuged with how well it worked a while back when shooting with a group of people that had gongs set up from 300 yards out to 1 mile. They were some very impressive shooters and once I discovered how they could return to zero to find out where your are in your adjustment if you lose track of where you are. With in a week I sent my Nightforce back and spent $370 to get mine set up the same way. I love it.

Kimber84

Now I have a Zero stop and high speed turret that I recently had installed in my Nightforce 8-32X56 NXS scope on my 50 BMG. If your thinking about something like that I don't believe it's available on the Vortex scope. The reason for it is to be able to return the scope to zero when your using a ballistic program like one you would put on your cell phone. I became Intriuged with how well it worked a while back when shooting with a group of people that had gongs set up from 300 yards out to 1 mile. They were some very impressive shooters and once I discovered how they could return to zero to find out where your are in your adjustment if you lose track of where you are. With in a week I sent my Nightforce back and spent $370 to get mine set up the same way. I love it.

My Vortex HS-T has zero stops.

Bart B.

Every scope I've checked when set to optical zero (reticule's dead center on the scope tube axis) has more clicks in one direction than to the opposite thereof.

With the rifle clamped in a bench vise, loosen the rings just enough to let the scope turn in them. Look through the scope then adjust the knobs until the reticule stays in one place on some distant image. Then loosen the knobs' lock scew, rezero them and tighten their lock screws. Test the scope again for its optical zero and readjust if needed.

After doing this, it's easy to see how much each adjustment has to its mechanical stops inside the scope.

Best thing about putting a scope's adjustments to optical zero is after mounting one in rings attached to their bases, bore sighting gives one the difference between the receiver axis and the mounted scope's optical axis. It's common to see several MOA difference. If they're well aligned to start with, you've got 20 MOA of up adjustment from bore sight if that's what there is to the stop for elevation. Common with well aligned scopes with a 40 MOA total adjustment.

CC268

Thanks for all the help. I think I will just leave it alone for now...the above instructions were a little over my head but I appreciate all the help.