How to remove cylinder of a Taurus M85?

RobW

Does anybody know how to remove the cylinder of a Taurus M85 from the crane? It's a pain to clean the chambers with the cylinder on. I found out that turning the ejection-rod counterclockwise will remove the rod, but the cylinder is still on an axle (?).

In the users manual is no hint how to do it.

Radicalcleric

The Taurus is very similar to the S&W so I assume the forward screw on the right side of the gun will allow the cylinder and crane to be pulled from the frame if removed. Use a proper gunsmith screwdriver, never an automotive or household screwdriver, and watch for a tension spring that may or may not be present.

E357

RobW, I assume that you are having trouble removing the "Cylinder retaining bushing" from the yoke. These are parts #2 and #6 in the manual. Yes these are very different from the Smith's design. I did it once, but I don't know if I did it correctly and if the technique will vary according to what alloy the yoke is made of. (so I'm not going to give advice) Now that you know that names of the parts maybe you can ask over on http://www.pistolsmith.com/index.php or even the S&W forum http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/cgi-bin/sandwcgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

Are you refininshing the gun?

Sorry for lack of specific advice.

Elliot

Mannlicher

Rob,

Saxon is correct, in that you remove the front screw on the right side of the Taurus, and then pull out the cylinder/yoke. He is ALSO right about that pesky little spring that will fly out and get lost in a heartbeat!!

part swede

I also need to know how to do this. Someone please let us know how you remove the cylinder retaining bushing with tools around the house.

Radicalcleric

I just realized you were asking about removing cyl from crane, not taking this assembly off the frame.

I would advise against trying to remove cyl from crane. Serious potential for damaging gun. I have found that with cyl/crane assembly off the frame cleaning can be accomplished without further disassembly.