• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

How to quote a post?

AUG

I have seen others quote a post they are responding to but I can't for the life of me find out how. On all the other message boards I go to they have a button that says "reply with quote". I have checked the control panel and I am at a loss.

pax

AUG ~

TFL never has had the 'reply with quote' feature enabled. Pretty sure it's just to keep people from quoting superlong posts and adding, "me too" at the bottom -- a really annoying waste of bandwidth.

To quote someone, you open your reply window and type [QUOTE]

Then copy & paste the section of their post you want to quote.

At the end, type [/QUOTE]

Then compose your reply.

Hope that helps.

pax

Avizpls

to get real fancy,

PHP:
[quote=USERNAME] what they said[/quote]

"Reply with qoute" is an important feature, especially on such a fast moving web forum like this one.

Rovi

There IS a 'Quote' button, it's just not available until you 'Reply' to something.
Attached should be an image with the button arrowed.

I find it easiest to just scroll down the page to find the bit I want to quote, and do a bit of cutn'paste .
The message list below the 'Reply' box is inverted, so the most recent message (and most likely the one you're replying to) is closest to the top.
Paste your text into the 'Reply' box, highlight it, and click the button.
Magic! :)

And, as Avizpls said, it's a good idea to attribute the quote, especially on a big thread.

Ivor.

Attachments

• Quote button.jpg
    Quote button.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 45