How to practice shooting while moving?

j1132s

I'd like to improve my accuracy while moving. I'm ok moving towards and backwards from the target (but these situations don't come up often). I suck (like completely missing the target sometimes) when I move laterally against the target.

I think I can improve my time if I can shoot while moving sideways relative to the targets, but how do you practice for this? My range doesn't allow movements at all.

I'm thinking maybe with an airsoft pistol and paper targets? I don't own an airsoft so before I go out and buy one, I'd like to hear what you guys do to practice this skill.

Thanks.

HSMITH

Dryfire your gun, watch the sights and shoot when they are where you want the bullets to hit. If you are missing you are not watching the sights and don't know where the bullets are going. Move around the house watching the sights and pressing the trigger without disturbing the sights. It will make a world of difference.

Ben Stoeger

Personally, I do this sort of practice in Dryfire.

Airsoft may be better, but probobly not enough to justify the cost and hassle of using it. (I wouldn't think so, anyway)

impact

Dryfire your gun, watch the sights and shoot when they are where you want the bullets to hit. If you are missing you are not watching the sights and don't know where the bullets are going. Move around the house watching the sights and pressing the trigger without disturbing the sights. It will make a world of difference.

I just learned this in a class I took with Bruce Gray as the teacher. Yes it does make a big difference :)

Focus on the sights as a conscious thing. Let your subconscious pick out the target. I know it sounds crazy but it works.

Try Holding a small bottle of water that is half filled upside down and practice moving while keeping the water steady, I have a video that I purchased to help with IDPA and IPSC and overall shooting techniques. It was really helpfull and would recommend it to you for help with your shooting. If your interested in an airsoft setup, I can get you a good package on this stuff I don't have any listed but I have access to this stuff along with aluminum target sets so that you can set up a course and practice and that way when you hit them you will see where you hit. These are reusable because you can hammer the back of the target to get the old dings/dents out and reuse them again.

If you would like more information please pm me or email me at sales@tacticaljunkie.com

My name is Jared

Hope this helps you out