How to make a Ruger 10mm?

November

Anybody know if it would be possible to convert a Ruger P91 or P94 in .40 to 10mm just by reaming the chamber? Would the P91 be the stronger candidate? Can the Ruger take the extra pressure and abuse? Any mag issues? Thanks for any info.

Hammerhead

No, Im quite sure it would not work for many reasons. The feed angles are set up for .40 and wouldn't work with 10mm. The slide is not heavy enough. The mags would be too short. The locking mechanism wouldn't stand the extra power.
Probably some other things I can't think of right now, but no, it won't work.

ArmaLube

Such conversion should not be considered. The barrel and frame were not designed for the strength that would be required. The recoil springs and magazines also would not be suitable. As you know, the 10mm cartridge is longer than the 40 S&W.

Rather than thinking in terms of conversion, it would be far more sensible to acquire a pistol chambered for the 10mm auto. S&W Model 1076s are available used for reasonable prices. They feature excellent DA/SA actions and are well supported in terms of parts and supplies. Various other S&W 10mm configurations are also available, as are other brands including Kimber, Glock, and Colt.

November

Well, here's the idea: I've got 800 rounds of 180 gr. lead round nose 10mm target ammo (American Eagle brand, pretty tame stuff) that's too dirty for my Witness 10mm that I like to run with DoubleTap Ammo's 180gr JHP load. I don't mind experimenting on my guns (within reason), so I figure if regular 10mm ammo won't fit the ruger mags I'll just put in stronger recoil springs (I'll check with Wolff), ream the chamber and "shave" some of the lead from the face of the bullet until it fits in the mag and burn up the rest of this target ammo. I can always go back to .40 later. I think the slide of the P91 may be heavier than the P94, so maybe that would be the way to go. Also, I believe the P90 was originally designed to chamber the 10mm, but that never happened, so they re-tooled for .45acp. I think the P91 is identical to the P90 other than caliber and grip-frame width. Anyone know for sure? I guess I've always heard/read/believed that Rugers are "built like a tank", so I'm thinking it may be possible to do this. You're probably saying, "why not just sell/get rid of the ammo"? That's probably the sensible thing to do, but this seems like a cool project and I've got extra barrels. Any other things to be aware of?

CastleBravo

I don't mind experimenting on my guns (within reason), so I figure if regular 10mm ammo won't fit the ruger mags I'll just put in stronger recoil springs (I'll check with Wolff), ream the chamber and "shave" some of the lead from the face of the bullet until it fits in the mag and burn up the rest of this target ammo.

Apparently your verison of "within reason" and my idea of "within reason" are completely different things. :eek:

jakester

Originally a 10mm design

I read somewhere that the Ruger P (45 version) was originally designed to handle the 10mm. But as the 10mm seemed to fade with the introduction of the 40 S&W, Ruger dropped the project.

I would say that this project would have to start with a 45 model since you'll get the proper slide travel to feed the 10mm. This brings up the problem of the breech face size. Know any good 'smiths that would be willing the weld up a cast Ruger breech then recut it for the 10mm rim? May be hard to find someone willing to talk on that liability issue!

Have you tried reloading 40S&W to OAL of a 10mm, then seeing if they will cycle through the Ruger? I shoot a Para P16-40 in USPSA competition and was advised at the first match with my new pistol to "load long" for reliable feeding. That would give you a good test for the Ruger. Make sure you stay within the recommendations of the powder manufacturer!

kdmoore

If you are bent on doing this ...

I'm not familiar with ruger's, but there are plenty of 1911's in .40 that get a reaming and become 10mm's. Different beast, but I think the only thing they do is the reaming and a stiffer spring (maybe not even that).

Have you tried to fit the rounds into the mag?

What I really think:

"probably saying, "why not just sell/get rid of the ammo"? " Yup. That or just run it thru your witness. An extra cleaning or two seems like a VERY small price to pay, just to use up some ammo AND keep all body parts.

November

Well, it looks like 10mm ammo won't fit in a Ruger .40 mag without some serious bullet shaving. That leaves out the P94 or P91 frames. It looks like it WILL fit in a .45 mag, though. Hmmm....maybe a P90 frame/mag with a reamed P91 slide/barrel combo (if it'll fit)? Wolff sells P91 springs up to 24 pounds so maybe it's still possible.

seeker_two

November...

Just how long have you had these suicidal tendencies?... :eek:

Pull the bullets, dump the powder, refill w/ a better powder (I like TITEGROUP) according to the recommendations of the HODGSON RELOADING MANUAL, and re-seat the bullets.

Less messy than the ammo you're using now...

...and less dangerous than your first idea. ;)