How to make a home-made Snap-Cap?

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
I don't want to drop any $, let alone a bunch, on a Snap-Cap.

I dry fire quite a bit, at times, & have broken a firing pin on an 870. Sick of that too. ;)

So.

How to make a Snap-Cap at home?

The "no live primer" & "no powder" is fairly obvious as is the rest - except for what would you use as a replacement for a good, solid striking surface to replace the primer?

A good, hard epoxy .... ?

Borf

I've got a set of the "eraser model" in .38 right now... lasting OK... takes a while to whittle little chucks the right size for the primer pockets... then whittle down so mr. cylinder turns freely. Seems to be a good idea to coat the tips of eraser chunk in epoxy a little...

Working ok so far anyway...

yankytrash

You think, maybe, a piece of hard rubber like the tire rubber might be better than an eraser? Seems to me, an eraser might be too soft; but then, I guess, you'd have to do the physic's math to figure it out properly, whether or not the eraser is hard enough.

My physics knowledge is limited to "When it hit my thumb, it hurt. Must be heavy.... You gunnuh eat the resta that?" :D

griz

I've used RTV to fill the empty primer pocket. It is very soft and does wear out over time. I use it mostly for shotguns to leave the hammer spring down for longer term storage.

John Marshall

Because I had some on hand from another little project, I used some Dow Corning Auto/Marine Silicone Sealant. Just slightly over filled the pocket and struck it off flush with a moistened piece of sheet metal I had on the bench.

georgestrings

Use a piece of o-ring of the right diameter in the primer pocket . Silicone can corrode some metals, and is too soft to last very long. georgestrings

TEXAS LAWMAN

Silicone Sealant

GE (or other brands) Silicone Sealant-fill primer pocket. After it hardens, cut flush w/single-edged razor blade. Lasts a long time. Inexpensive.