How to increase bullet diameter?

anand

Hello everyone!

I know there are bullet swaging dies available that will decrease the bullet diameter a few thousandths of an inch, as in wanting to make .308 in. diameter 7.62x25 Tokarev bullets out of .310 in. .32 ACP bullets.
My question is:
Is there a die or other contraption that could bump "up" the caliber a few thousandths of an inch, like 7.62x25 Tokarev to .309 or so?
Thanks,
Anand

Poygan

I haven't tried to increase the diameter of a bullet in my RCBS sizer but I have bumped the nose to increase the meplat. Having said that, if I were going to try to increase the diameter, I would use a sizing die of the diameter I was trying for and then squeeze the bullet during the sizing process. My guess would be that it may work with shorter and softer bullets.... I would also experiment with lubing and not lubing before I tried to change the diameter. Part of the fun of reloading is the experimentation, is it not?

Scorch

Yes, you can bump the bullets. A lot of obsolete calibers are still being shot that way. Works best with cast bullets. But you have to do it right or accuracy will go away. Easier to find oversize bullets and swage them down a few thousandths.

You could get 32-20 bullets and swage them down a lot more reliably (Hornady). Or you could just use 110 plinkers designed for the M1 Carbine (speer or Sierra).