How to go about starting an indoor shooting range?

Jonpod

I spoke with someone who told me that 11% of all firearms and ammo sold goes to a federal government fund that is supposed to be used for civilian firearms training. Supposedly this money is up for grabs to people looking to start shooting ranges etc. Does anyone know about this? And what is the best place to get started?

There are no indoor ranges close to my location and only one outdoor public range that I am aware of. I am positive that an indoor range would be very popular here. Although I truely enjoy firearms and shooting, I am not interested in charity work. Would this be a worthwile venture to persue; or, is the PITA factor too large when you take into consideration all of the federal loop-holes involved?

M1911

Jonpod:

Whoever told you that was dreaming. Never heard of it.

Now, there is the Pittman-Robertson excise tax on firearms and ammo, but that goes to conservation of wildlife. Can't imagine that the federal government would be giving money to a for-profit entity.

Regarding starting a shooting range, I suggest you call up the National Shooting Sports Foundation http://www.nssf.org . They have a bunch of publications about range development.

Personally, I think you should reconsider. You'll need a hefty initial investment. There's the whole lead issue -- you'll have to have a system to prevent lead from being discharged into the atmosphere, you'll have to have your employees tested for lead, etc. Then there's the whole liability issue, in case Mr. Doofus accidentally shoots himself or someone else. Heck, there's even liability in case Mr. Doofus comes in, rents a gun, and tries to commit suicide...

M1911

Jeff OTMG

M1911 is absolutely correct in his statements, but it can be done if you want to. The money is available through the SBA. I have a friend in OKC who did just this. He did a 20ft deep indoor pool in the process to do SCUBA training at the same facility. He went $800,000 in debt and did well, eventually selling the building to the state for a highway cloverleaf for $1.4 million. How do you feel about going $250,000 to $500,000 in debt? I have the connections and background if you have the money.

David Scott

There is an indoor range and gun shop on the west side of Leesburg, FL that is for sale. I don't know the circumstances, but if you have the cash I expect you could be in business quickly. Make sure you have an FFL first.

AR-10

Jeff OTMG is right about the initial investment. I looked into this last year. I was told the air filtration system alone could run $50,000. And insurance, IF you can find an underwriter, is prohibitive. My county couldn't support a business with the kind of outlay and overhead I was looking at.

I also looked into opening a gunshop. Minimum insurance coverage for merchandise theft or fire ONLY was 10% of value of stock on hand per year. I never did find an underwriter willing to talk about liability insurance.

Something to keep in mind when you find out that your local dealer needs to mark a handgun up $150 to make a profit.

M1911

AR-10:

A local dealer here told me that he does have liability insurance. But it costs him $7000 a year.

M1911

bookkie

Our club runs a .22 25? indoor range. Cost of insurance runs around $7,000 per year. No one knows what the cost of construction was as it was built in the 40?s right after the war. If you are serious, contact the NRA endowment fund. The funds that are raised by the Friends of the NRA dinners go to this endowment fund. The principal of the funds is set up in a trust fund that will never be touched. However all funds earned on the principal are granted to various programs that encourage the shooting sports?. Grants to build or improve gun ranges is one of these programs. Here in Northern California last year alone, local ranges received over $300,000 for improvements.