How to go about a transfer with fellow TFL'er??

rugerfreak

The search function isn't working.

I offered a pistol for sale within the last few days---and have received e-mails from interested buyers.

The question is: How do I go about an out-of-state sale----without getting burned either on the money end or if the pistol would happen to wind up in a crime?

No offense to any prospective buyers----just making sure my butt is covered.

sousana

What I've done for years is publish the add, when I get a buyer, I have him or her send a copy of his or her dealers FFL along with a POSTAL MONEY ORDER for the purchase price and shipping charges. When I receive the FFL and M/O, I go to the ATF website and verify the dealers license, once it checks out, I am required by FEDEX and UPS to ship the handgun via overnight shipping which I do and send the buyer the tracking number.

By requesting a Postal Money Order, I'm not only protecting the buyer but myself, as I know the M/O will be good, and he knows that if he does not get the gun I can be prosecuted for mail fraud by the Postal Service.

Just one thing, be sure you ship the handgun to the address listed under the license as: Licensed Premises and NO OTHER ADDRESS.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's,

All firearms transactions must be through two
licensed FFL dealer's. Only accept certified
funds; and certainly NO personal check's. Most
dealer's will only charge a nominal fee for
handling the transaction; on both ends. It
is customary to allow the purchaser a 3 day
inspection of the weapon, with full return
priviledge's guaranteed; as well as a full
refund, if applicable.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Johnny Rad

What about an in-state sale ... I understand these can be done directly between the two individuals and without an FFL? Am I correct?!

bastiat

out of state only requires ffl on buyers end. You already have the gun, you don't need an ffl on your end.

most states allow person to person xfers instate. some like CA require it to go throgh a ffl

http://www.gunbroker.com/user/ShippingGuide.asp

Shipping Legalities
Federal Law requires that all modern firearms be shipped only to a holder of a valid Federal Firearms License (FFL). The recipient must be have an FFL; however the sender is not required to have one. Any person who is legally allowed to own a firearm is legally allowed to ship it to an FFL holder for any legal purpose (including sale or resale).
Here is exactly what the ATF 'Yellow Book' ATF P 5300.4 says:
(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the mails?
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident in his own state or to a licensee in any State. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer a handgun to a non licensed resident of any other state.

sousana

ALA DAN: While your correct in that transfers require FFL's in both states, the list of states that require this is very minimal. I've been buying and selling for years and have yet to find a state that requires two party FFL shipping.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Sousana,

With all due respect, if I were selling firearms
in today's society, I beleive that I would want
a licensed FFL dealer to handle the shipping
to the receiving FFL dealer; for no other reason
than to cover my own butt.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

sousana

Why? So you can pay him an extra $10-20 for his part in shipping it? If he receives it from you he has to then log it into his acquisition and dispostion logbook.