How to disassemble P226 magazine?

Padawan

Seeing as how my new P226 is my first SIG and my first handgun, I still have quite a few things to learn (to say nothing of my shooting, which is a work in progress ;) ). I've gotten quite good at field stripping and cleaning the weapon, but I have yet to disassemble, clean, and reassemble the magazines. I've read that this is an important maintenance procedure, so I don't want to overlook it. However, I haven't been able to figure out how this is done, and the information isn't located in the manual or on the SiGARMS site. Could anyone give me a basic description of the procedure? If it makes a difference, I'm using 10 rd. magazines. Thanks.

at-home-daddy

Depress the button in the hole of the bottom of the mag with something slim and sharp. While holding that in, slide the bottom portion forward just a hair, then you can remove the something-slim-and-sharp. Slide the rest of the bottom portion forward and off, being sure to hold the metal tab portion behind it with your thumb so it doesn't spring off. Tilt the metal tab portion to one side to remove it from the mag, and pull it out along with the spring. The follower should fall out with a tap on it from the top.

perception

That procedure works for my hi cap mags, but the 10 rounders seemed to be built so that even with the base off, you still could not remove the spring and follower. The mags had lips that held it all in, i assume to make them harder to modify around the assaultweapons ban. If anyone knows anything about this, I would like to know as well.

at-home-daddy

Yes, the bottom of the mags have lips, that's why you have to tilt the spring's metal tab bottom to one side...then you can remove it along with the rest of the mag's contents. This is based on the 10-round mags with which I use this method frequently.

Padawan

Thanks very much. I had a feeling that the disassembly involved that round "tab" at the bottom, but I wanted to be certain I wasn't going to break it, considering the cost of factory SIG magazines. Thanks again.

callmeshawn

Thanks for the tip

I noticed a round didn't really feed correctly through my 226 last time I was at the range. I've put about 850 rounds through the gun and mainly use 1 of my 15 round mags at the range.

I disassembled the mag using the info below and found it to be gritty. I cleaned it out and am looking forward to putting some more rounds through it.

Thanks for the tip.

Shawn