How to date a S&W 586?

75218ron

Bring her ammo and holsters, and offer to take her out to the range. And never, EVER tell her that her grips make her butt look fat!
LOL....and hold her tight every chance you get...:)

FlyFish

You should be aware that the 581/586/681/686 no-dash (which yours should be) and -1 models were subject to a recall due to a problem with the fit of the firing pin (hammer nose) and bushing which, with some hot loads, could allow primer cup material to flow back into the gap between the pin and bushing and bind up the gun. S&W will still fix this problem free, including shipping both ways. Guns that have been modified by the factory will have an "M" stamped into the yoke cutout area above the serial number.

Many owners report no problems, and the decision to get the revolver modified (assuming it hasn't been) is up to you. I own a few 586s/686s that are used only at the range, and they all had the modification done before I bought them. If restricted to range work, it may not be so important to get the fix, but if you ever intend to use the gun for SD I'd definitely recommend having it done. There are those who think that unmodified guns will be worth more in the future, and don't send them in for that reason, but I think the difference in value, if any, will be minimal.

blackamos

Thanks for the input all. This example is not modified and will never be pressed into a self defense role. I only bought it because i liked the look of the gun. I will probably only ever shoot light target loads in this one. I'll try to figure out how to post pics this evening. Thanks again.

44 AMP

Staff
I would contact S&W and see if they still do the upgrade, and if they will do it all on their dime, or not. (shipping, etc.)

IF so, it would be sensible to me to have it done. Even though you may never plan on using it for a defensive role, having it upgraded so that the small risk of a primer tying up the gun is removed just seem sensible. That way, if you ever do have to use it in a defensive role, that worry is eliminated.

Also, future owners might thank your memory some day, as it is quite possible that at some time in the future S&W will no longer (be able to) do the work needed.

I think any potential loss of collector value due to having the upgrade done will be balanced with the value of the gun as a more reliable weapon.

While there might be some others, the only place I know of where a factory improvement matters to collector value is with Ruger old model (3 screw) and New Model Blackhawks. And that is because of the nature of the conversion.

The "old model" Blackhawks had a decent trigger pull. New model Blackhawks have a decent trigger pull. according to what everyone says, converted old models had horrid trigger pulls. I've had a 3 screw, and have lots of new model Blackhawks but never had a converted 3 screw so I can't say from personal experience, but enough people say it and believe it that people will pay more for an unconverted old model than a converted one.

The S&W improvement in this case is a much different matter than the Ruger, and I cannot see how it would harm the value of the gun to any significant amount, if indeed, any amount at all. I think it would actually make the gun worth a tiny bit more, but good luck convincing any potential buyer of that. ;)

blackamos

After the range report. I forget how much I enjoy shooting revolvers but this one reminded me, at 15 yards with 130gr 38 special it was one jagged hole. I have gotten away form wheel guns in the past few years but I think that trend is over.