How to clean carbon residue

Ernest T Bass

Are you talking about the really stubborn carbon rings on the cylinder face? I use Lead Away cloths by Kleen Bore, or Lead Remover cloths from Birchwood Casey. Both work great.

larryf1952

If you're talking about the fouling that occurs on the face of the cylinders, this is what I use: Iosso Gun Brite Polish and a nylon bristle brush. 10 or 15 minutes of elbow grease and it shines like a baby's bottom.

UPYa5UP.jpg

Last edited:

rclark

Unless your about the sell the gun, just leave them. What doesn't come off with Hoppes #9 ... stays on my stainless revolvers. It doesn't 'build up' so no problem just leaving the rings. My 2 cents.

KyJim

Unless your about the sell the gun, just leave them. What doesn't come off with Hoppes #9 ... stays on my stainless revolvers. It doesn't 'build up' so no problem just leaving the rings. My 2 cents.
That's my approach, too. After accumulating a number of guns over the years, I've learned how to clean and lubricate for function and preservation without expending a lot of effort on pure cosmetics---with an exception here and there.

ChasHam

Yeah, just leave it. A gun should look like it's got some mileage on it.

Showing up at the range with a shiny/prissy six-shooter, you might get mistaken for a rookie;-)

Last edited:

Ruger45LC

Leave it be unless you're trying to sell it and make it look less fired. I'd lose my mind if I had to clean those off after every outing.

ss1/G8RFAN

The lead away cloths like Mr Bass said are the way to go. Takes those rings off the cylinder face like magic. No elbow grease needed.

Paul105

Just leave it. Freedom Arms gunsmith told me you risk dishing out the charge hole exits creating accuracy problems using abrasive cloth cleaners.

FWIW,

Paul