How to clean an AK

Willie Lowman

Here is a video demonstrating some valuable tips on how to keep an AK clean.

https://youtu.be/0CNmXhRZc6E

I have owned three AKs in the last 12 years. All were Romanian. One of them, a WASR 10 I never cleaned or lubricated. I would wipe rust off the outside and that was it. I shot it, put it away dirty, shot it more, put it away dirtier, shot it more... It did suffer some jams eventually but not many. The others I did take better care of.

There is much ado about how to clean and lube the AR-15. Why don't we discuss the basic maintenance (or lack there of) of the AK-47?

Shooter2675

I think some people over clean there AR's, expecting them to be "unreliable". I have not cleaned my AR for over 300 rounds, in fact, in the almost 600 (or so) rounds I have shot from it, I have only ever cleaned it once and the barrel twice with some Hoppes 9. I have not had one malfunction, no problems what so ever. I built the gun with a 16 inch barrel and carbine length gas system, but the gun stays fairly clean inside.

Regardless of what I think or do to my AR, that video was pretty funny.

John

kraigwy

There is much ado about how to clean and lube the AR-15. Why don't we discuss the basic maintenance (or lack there of) of the AK-47?

I don't clean or maintain my rock thrower either.

I don't clean for reliability, I clean for accuracy.

I'm with Col. Whelen, "Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting".

Mobuck

I thought the only way you could clean an AK was with a boot lace and kerosene/gasoline/used motor oil.

Brotherbadger

Great video.:D

I agree most people over clean their ARs. I'll clean mine every 500-1,000 rounds, unless I haven't gone shooting in a long time, then I'll break it out and clean it early.

As for the AK, it really didn't need to be cleaned very often.